Cannot log on my Toshiba SM30-107 Error Message

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had this laptop for some years and it has worked well. In the last few days I have been unable to log on. Initially there is a black screen with wording Press F2 for Set Up Press F12 for boot device.

States Operating system not found.

After a short while a box appears stating system error 0201 Failure 1DE#0. I have seen advice for running a scan to rectify this problem, but have no idea what to do on the PhoenixixBIOS Setup Utility page.

Is there anything I can do or is it a repair job?

Thanks Brian

Your hard drive has gone bad... likely the magnetic media is peeling off the first eight sectors of the hard drive. You still have a chance to recover a lot of the data by installing it as a slave in an external enclosure on a USB cable.
You can do the work yourself if you have the original install disks. Buy a new drive (Directron.com, ZipZoomFly.com, NewEgg.com, Outpost.com, Frys.com, CDW.com, PCMall.com, TigerDirect.com or other of your choice) Figger out if your drive is an EIDE, PATA, ATA, or SATA, then get a replacement that matches... but you can now get a much larger drive... up to 250 or 330 GB if you wish... It has to be either a SATA or an EIDE-PATA-ATA.
Your recovery-restore disk will reformat it... but if you restore disk is Service Pack 0, 1, or 1a, you will only be able to format fully a drive of 137 GB or smaller. Then download about 136 updates from Microsoft Updates, and reinstall all your software... then recover your data from the defective drive.

Presto, you are a technician.

as this unit has 82801dbm southbridge inside, it uses PATA HDDs only. before installing new hdd, it's recommended to update BIOS ROM. don't forget, that this is true toshiba laptop(not as m30x model), it has some known issues with master/slave positions with HDD and DVD-drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back