Cannot login to Windows - default system profile

Jskid

When I try to login to Windows a message is displayed "Windows can't load the user's profile but has logged on with the default system profile. Reason: insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service." That isn't the message word for word because after 20 seconds the message automatically closes. Then there is only the cursor (which can move) and a blue back ground and nothing loads. When I press ctr+alt+delete I get a message saying "The application failed to initialize properly (0x000012d) Click on OK to terminate the application". When I press the power button the laptop goes into hibernation and when it comes out of it I need to re-enter the password, so it's not completely dead. It's a Compaq nx9600 with Windows XP Pro.

Sometimes little things change: for example this time it showed an message titled "Parser Message" but the body of the message failed to load.

Edit: I tried booting into safe mode and it worked, the next time I tried booting the laptop normally it worked. Why does this happen?
EDIT: but it only worked the one time after booting into safe mode

Edit: Every time I properly turn off the laptop it can't login the next time but if I hold down the power button it can login next time.

Tmagic could be right, windows could have problems, or your profile could have problems..

if it works fine in safe mode, boot up safe mode and do a restore to a few days before the problem started to happen. If that doesn't work, you can go into safe mode, go into Command Prompt (Start > Run > cmd) then type sfc /scannow, you will need your windows XP installation disc in the CD/DVD drive for this scan to fix any problems found.

Back