Cannot open jump drives in "My Computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lludacrisboy

Ok so whenever i plug a jump drive or sd card or try to open a CD, i get the error message
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

I get this all the time so in order to open a jump drive or sd card etc, i have to right click and go to explore.

How the heck do I fix this, I've looked everywhere.

Thanks

what kind of user account are you logging on with, You may have to login with your admin password and change your user settings.

it sounds like your security settings need to be adjusted to the default settings. also, are you using an active antispyware and what antivirus? I am pretty sure this is your problem, you will need to weed out all your security settings. good luck

check in add/remove programs if you have "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security component", if so, uninstall (should only be with windows server)

I get this all the time so in order to open a jump drive or sd card etc, i have to right click and go to explore.

If i understand you only have this issue via My Computer (and not using Windows Explorer) i don't think it's security settings. As a first step (before looking for other causes) I would first rule out malware. See here for Virus/Malware Removal Instructions. Post your logs in a new thread in Antivirus/Malware forum.

After being declared "malware free" by the experts there post back here to let us know the result (and if you need further bug analysis or if it's fixed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back