Cannot rename iexplore.exe under WIn XP Pro, possible malware?

By UThant
Aug 22, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. I am running Win XP Professional SP 2. I am attempting to limit a given user's access to the Internet. I have already tried un-checking "enable access to this program" for the browser under custom program access in the control panel, to no avail - if the user has an email with a link in it, the link will open IE successfully even with access to the browser non-enabled. So, I decided to try renaming iexplore.exe on his machine to iexplore.ex_. When I do this, another iexplore.exe immediately is created. Is this perhaps being caused by malware? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    UThant
  2. learninmypc

learninmypc TechSpot Guru Posts: 4,554   +184

I haven't got a clue, but you can d/l Mbam update it & run a full scan to find out .
  3. WinXPert

WinXPert TechSpot Booster Posts: 525

How 'bout trying a Parental Control program

Renaming IE won't prevent them from accessing the internet specially if they have a Flash drive with Portable Firefox or Chrome

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.