Cannot run fixit.zip

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluefoot

Hi, I am trying to clean an infected laptop and have tried to download the fixit.zip file as mbam will not run on the laptop. I have downloaded the fixit.zip file several times on my uninfected PC and cannot open it. Any assistance is appreciated.

Bluefoot,
In advance, my apology for not being able to fully appreciate your situation.

I just received the message that fixit.zip is corrupted.

I will PM mflynn.

Sometimes it is possible to make progress going to safe mode with networking.

From there delete the infected files/folders that are part of the infection. Fixit hobbles the infection, it does not give full treatment.

OK, Thanks. I am trying to clean a laptop for a friend and it has the AV2009 Pro trojan virus. I have played more with mbam and gotten it to run. Cleaned 29 files initially and working on 2nd run now, Found 4 registry keys infected. Ill start a new thread with more cleaning questions if required, although the fixit.zip file would be nice to have

I just downloaded Fixit it is not corrupt.

It is the malware doing to Fixit what it is doing to the other programs that will not download or run.

Some have had success by downloading from Safe Mode with Networking. If it will d/l and extract then run from there then run once more from normal mode.

I will do much cleaning in Safemode but...

To be able to find the programs and services it needs to stop and kill it must be run finally in normal mode

Mike

I just downloaded Fixit it is not corrupt.

It is the malware doing to Fixit what it is doing to the other programs that will not download or run.

Some have had success by downloading from Safe Mode with Networking. If it will d/l and extract then run from there then run once more from normal mode.

I will do much cleaning in Safemode but...

To be able to find the programs and services it needs to stop and kill it must be run finally in normal mode

Mike

Not to be contrarian, but I am trying to download and unzip the .zip file from a different uninfected PC, not from the infected laptop. I can open other .zip files with no issue.

No you can be contrarian but!

1. others have already downloaded and used it

2. Earlier when someone else thought so I downloaded extracted

3. When they reported your incident I tested it again on a different computer with no problem.

4. I doubt it has gotten zaped on the TechSpot HD

Perhaps the other computer is not clean after all?
Or you have LAN/Wan corruption.

Send me a PM with you Email and I will forward it to you

Mike

Did you try to get Fixit in Safe Mode networking?

Also in some cases just rename the programs did you try that?

And did you rename it?

Browse to the Program Files\MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware folder, rename mbam.exe to mwbam.exe and execute it from there. If it will not update just try running without updating.

Same for SuperAntiSpy rename sas.exe

Mike

I have done those tasks and both mbam and sas have now been run several times with no detected files infected, so I think Im OK at this point and may not really need fixit now. I started another thread to track my progress on hijackthis. Thank you for your help.

If still needed the Fixit file has been replaced with a self extracting exe!

Some downloaded and ran OK, others would be corupted? Who knows.

This one is still named Fixit.zip but must be renamed Fixit.exe to run.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back