Cannot see my slave drive

By scarecrow1
Sep 18, 2008
  1. I re installed xp on my computor and it was a clean install. now i cannot access my slave back up and it has info i need IE my back up. the computor says it is unallocated.. help'

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

Raw: The volume filesystem type information is unavailable

Just follow the guide
    I feel you have removed the Partion, inadvertently, on the slave Drive

In future, physically unplug any other drives, before doing major work (Partion/Format/Windows Setup) on another Drive
  3. scarecrow1

scarecrow1 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

so i wipe it clean and now should partition in and move forward.? will i still be able to reassign a letter to it?
  4. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

If you have data to be backed up, I wouldn't be doing any other work on it, other than trying to recover it (see link above)

But once you are happy with not recovering anymore data from it, you can then create a Partition (and format it) on it, which will automatically allow Windows to assign a new drive letter for it

Have a look at Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Computer Management-->Disk Management
    From there you can Format so forth (only after you have recovered data first!)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.