Cannot see network Computer on home network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddie_42

Hello,

I have to computers on my home network. One laptop (dell) and one PC (custom build). I have XP home with SP2 and AVG 7.1 antivirus on both. I have run the network setup on both computers several times to no avail. They are connected through a linksys cable router.

The internet works fine on both and i can ping the computers from the other without a problem. When i try to connect via run->\\12.345.67.8 i get an error saying path not found. They are on the same workgroup, and windows firewall is off on both comuters

help please. I recently formated by PC and put all my music on the laptop and i want it back on the PC

Thanks

ive got a d-link router that does the same thing. if you've got a crossover network cable, i suggest just connecting the two computers directly. gave up on home networking a while ago. good luck

you need to SHARE the folder containing the data.
Then enable File/Print sharing { firewall enable ports (139,445) } and on the
remote system that wants access, use MAP NETWORK DRIVE.
If you've done this right, the system that has the data will showup and clicking
the [+] on its name will expand into the FOLDER that is shared :)

You will have this problem regardless of a router or crossover cable.

ok...im am not completely new at this...please have confidence that i at least shared the folder!!!!

the ports were already on. and i dont want to "map" the drive. I want to be able to go to "my network places" and see the laptop that is sitting on top of my tower. I dont have a cross over cable nor do i wish to purchase one. The network should work; it worked until i reinstalled windows just a month ago.

windows firewall is off
using AVG 7.1 pro.

the two IP's of the computers are not very similar either. Shouldnt they be the same except the last set, currently the last to sets of numbers are different. Also, the default gatway address is different between the computers if that is of importance.

some one please help, i just want to see my other computer.

Thanks
Eddie

Eddie_42 said:
the two IP's of the computers are not very similar either. Shouldnt they be the same except the last set, currently the last to sets of numbers are different. Also, the default gatway address is different between the computers if that is of importance.
yes, all gateways should be the same and the IPs alike in the first three #s,
192.168.1.x​

thats what i figured.

how do i fix it???

ive tried various jacks in the router and cannot get them to work....ive even reinstalled the drivers for both network cards and the network setup wizard in windows...i just dont know how to fix it

please help

I had the same problem, I connected my two home systems via a mini-hub then networked them together using the usual method microsoft recomends with the floppy disk to set up each system to no avail.

Both systems have the same workgroup name etc... but my problem was solved when I installed the NETBEUI protocol. This doesn't install with windows XP by default due to security issues, but it is available on your XP CD to manually install. Right click on your XP CD and select EXPLORE, then navigate to \VALUEADD\MSFT\NET\NETBEUI. The folder will contain a file called NETBEUI.TXT, it will tell you where to put the appropriate files in order use the protocol and how to install it.

Once I had this protocol properly installed my second home computer was picked up right away.

I only use the default folder for sharing files as they can be accessed using this protocol via the internet. But I only use this to xfer certain files to my wife's computer anyhow, so this isn't a problem. I'm not paranoid about my system being infiltrated, I have far more problems with the security implementations Microsoft and other software makes than the security issues themselves. ;)

Hope this helps, Microsoft needs to get off their butts and fix this problem, it is very annoying.

Eddie_42 said:
thats what i figured.

how do i fix it???

ive tried various jacks in the router and cannot get them to work....ive even reinstalled the drivers for both network cards and the network setup wizard in windows...i just dont know how to fix it

please help

Make sure you have the order network objects you want to use correct.

If you go into network connections where you see the LAN connections
Click on the Advanced tab next to Help on the menu that reads File Edit ...
Click on advanced settings make sure what you see it what you want to start off with also do the same with Provide Order too.

Another way you can do it if you want to see all your workgroup computers in your network like this:

Click on My Network Places
Click on View Workgroup Computers

If you can't see the computers here then you don't have a service turned on.
click on start
click on run
type: services.msc
search for computer browsing and make sure that is automatic and it has started. Reboot the PC so that can take effect..

Now if you want more and be able to see all the shared folders on your system, you need to turn on some features on all the pcs.

Open My Computer
Click on Tools
Click on File Options
Click View and scroll down the list
Turn on or check the box and the far bottom of the list.
Do what I've suggested with all your PCs on your network and reboot them.

If you still don't see anything then local Security Policies features is turned off.

Do you want Local Network (sharing icons to appear as well, they should populate after doing the above. If they don't then like I said either LSP or Network Places is corrupted on the PC that can't display the infomation.

As a friendly test...

, see if you know the answers to the questions below:

• * What's the difference between using Windows 9x and Windows 2000/XP file sharing?
    * Which port(s) handle(s) file transfers on Windows 2000/XP systems?
    * Does Windows XP use NetBIOS to transfer files?
    * If you disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on a 2000/XP box, can people still connect to your shares?
    * What happens if you block access to port TCP/139 on an XP machine?
see dmiessler.com for discussion

tried using the netbueis {sp} thing and the computer browsing services is turned on automatically in each computer......yet i still cant see them.

what are the default passwords to get into a linksys router?
Is there something i can change to reset the gateways and IPs of the computers connected to my router?

The router has worked fine until i reformated my PC about 2 months ago. I put all my file on the other computer before formatting and now i cant get them back.

any other suggestions?

I used a HUB with mine. I don't know about routers, but that could be your problem right there. That's the only difference between your problem and mine.

I understand the security issues with netbeui, but as long as you limit what you share (and I just use the default shared files folder) it isn't a problem.

this is frustrating.....The router worked before my format...i sent all my files to the laptop. Now i just want them back.

Is there a way to completely reinstall all the network options that are installed with a fresh format without reformating???

ive tried removeing and reinstalling my ethernet card and im getting the same results as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back