Cannot see or edit hosts file, XP

jstluise

I was trying to edit my HOSTS file, but I could not find it in the usual location, even with viewing hidden files. I tried to create a new HOSTS file, but it said it already exists (even though I can't see it). Hmmm.

I am able to access the HOSTS file by typing in the location in the address bar, and open it with Notepad. I can't edit it, because I believe it is read-only.

Any idea why I can't see the file at all? Is there another setting that makes it invisible, even when viewing hidden files?

I was able to edit the HOSTS file by using HostsMan, but I am still curious about this. Would it have to do with my firewall or anything? (bitdefender)

Thanks!

Are you viewing Windows system files and not just hidden files. Maybe it's set to a hidden system file. You can always go to the command line and check the attributes.

Are you viewing Windows system files and not just hidden files. Maybe it's set to a hidden system file. You can always go to the command line and check the attributes.

Problem solved. I didn't realize there was an option to unhide protected operating system files.

Thanks!

Back