Cannot seem to get around BIOS Password

By isaih
Dec 14, 2009
  1. I have dell latitude d800 that has a bios password that i cannot get around, I have been all over google researching ways that I can access the laptop but no luck at all.
    So i am hoping anyone can help me the service tag on this dell is #J7SK351-595B.
    any help is very appreciated.
  2. compdata

compdata TechSpot Paladin Posts: 526

You need to figure out how to clear the CMOS on the motherboard. Usually there is a jumper on desktop motherboards, but laptops are usually a lot harder to find info on. I will do a little digging to see if i can come up with anything.
  3. compdata

Do you know how long the service warranty on the laptop was/is? I found the question on dells support site but their answer was to contact them:

How to Clear the BIOS Password

Journal ID: 093489Z8LZ
    Article ID: 184659
    Date Published: 10/17/2007
    Last Revised: 9/26/2009

By Internet
    Contact Dell Technical Support online.

By Telephone
    Please have your Express Service Code ready. The Express Service Code can be found on a sticker at the bottom of portable computers and on the back panel of desktop computers.

If you cannot locate the Express Service Code, go to Technical Support Contact Us. Click Find My Express Service Code and Yes, I Do Agree. Make note of the Express Service Code that appears.

* Dell Technical Support at (800) 624-9896
    * Dell Automated Support at (800) 247-9362
    * If you purchased your computer through a Faculty, Student, and Staff (FSS) program or an Employee Purchase Program (EPP), call (800) 456-3355.
  4. compdata

Here is the manual for your laptop:

One thing that might work is to remove the backup battery, which often can clear the BIOS settings and reset them to default.

Here are instructions for doing that:
    - of course remember to disconnect all power supplies and give it say 10 min and hold down the power button a couple of times to try to drain all power from the system. then put the battery back in and restart
  5. isaih

isaih TS Rookie Topic Starter

I will give this a try and let you know what happens,
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.