Can't access people on network

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't access shared files and printers in the network in my dorm at school. It's weird, because I can get to their shared music in iTunes just fine, and I have no trouble getting on the internet, but I can't seem to access anything through "My Network Places". Any suggestions?

Covarr said:
I can't access shared files and printers in the network in my dorm at school. It's weird, because I can get to their shared music in iTunes just fine, and I have no trouble getting on the internet, but I can't seem to access anything through "My Network Places". Any suggestions?

Hi

More information is needed, which OS, is there a firewall, do you have an IT dept that control data access, are the shares set, do you have access rights.?

Regards

XP Pro, I'm using Windows Firewall, and most of the rest of my dorm can access each others shared files just fine, so the issue is probably a bad setting on my computer, rather than something weird on the network.

I have to use a program called "Cisco Clean Access Agent" to get on the internet, but all that does is blocks me off if I don't have updated virus protection (I use AVG and Symantec, though everyone in the hall uses Symantec, so I don't think the problem's there).

Check that you're in the same workgroup name..

are you using two antivirus scanners? you should at least disable one or uninstall one so they won't conflict..

Yeah, I disabled one of them.

I found somewhere else that said to type "nbtstat -R" in the command prompt, and it worked. Thanks for tryin' though.

Covarr said:
I found somewhere else that said to type "nbtstat -R" in the command prompt, and it worked. Thanks for tryin' though.
the more general process is netstat, use /h to get the parms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back