Resolved Can't access single website (intermittently)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to diagnose this problem with my website. One of my clients can't access my website days at a time... and then -- poof! -- they can access it for a couple days... but then it goes down again. It appears its only an issue with their office (I can access the website no problem and I haven't heard anyone else complain). But of course, the day I drive over to help them, the website is back up. Anyways, they are down again and I'm planning on making another trip to see if I can diagnose the problem. Here is what I know now:

- When using IE from client's office getting the following error:
The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
moments.
- Same error when using Firefox.
- Get the same error when typing in the ip address instead of url.
- All computer at the office have same problem.
- pinging website times out
- pinging ip address of website host times out (I've confirmed that it works from my computer)

When I was there last I changed some of IE's privacy settings and made sure my website was listed.

I also checked the error_log and access_log files and don't see anything suspicious in there...

I had the client run tracert and they will be emailing me the log file... I'll post it to the forum when I receive it.

Anyways, any suggestions? This problem is especially annoying since it's intermittent... not sure what is up with that.

Anything else I should be checking? I've been reading about the MTU setting for routers though I'm not sure if I'll even have access to their router.... and I would think they would problems accessing other sites if it was the MTU settings.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Andre

Andre, I believe this is a server error between their office and your site. Whatever hops are made between them and you, for some reason, isn't up to the traffic occasionally. Could it be the time of day when internet traffic is heavier?.

Please do not post the tracert. There is nothing I would be able to see that you could not. You should be able to check the tracerts and determine whether it is the same hop always when the site can't be reached, but I don't know that you would be able to do anything abut that.

Changing the privacy settings shouldn't make any difference. You are getting status messages, not error that for some reason, the server is too busy to handle their request at that time. The fact that it's intermittent points to that.

I don't think this is a malware problem. The forum handles the finding of and removal of malware.

Thanks for the quick response.

From my customer's comments, I haven't noticed a particular time when the website is down... and if these servers are busy, I would think they would be able to reach the website hours later, not days? Hmmmm....

I also received a PM from another user (but unfortunately I can't respond because I haven't reached the post threshold)... he had suggested that I open more ports or that the timeout was not short enough.... The website was created through Doteasy so maybe the default settings are not "good" enough? Another issue to explore.

I saw a previous post on a related issue in the same forum category... but yeah, I guess this wouldn't be a malware issue... sorry about that!

[SOLVED] - Can't access single website (intermittently)

Well, I called the ISP (Comcast) for my client and explained the situation. He immediately saw the problem. There was a setting in the cable model to block frequently visited webpages!!! I'm not sure why such a setting would exist but he disabled the option and viola! they can access the website.

I almost fell off my chair when he told me this.

Imagine that! An ISP actually admitted it was their fault! Glad you got it resolved.
BTW, Jobeard had given a reliable option,

I will 'officially' Resolve the thread for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back