Cant anybody help with this WindowsXP problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcompton24

i am running windows xp home edition and just found out that i have service pack 1, and i need to update to service pack 3, but in order to get pack 3 i need to download and install pack 2. so i have downloaded pack 2 and when i try to install it says " the file c:\windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe is open or in use by another application " but when i check my task mgr nothing is running! what steps do i need to take to fix this and have the new service packs installed? please help

1) do you also have your installation CDs?
2) See this link. According to MS you can install SP3 if you have SP2 or SP1a installed (but not SP1). Maybe you can also try SP1a?

Post moved to appropriate forum.

bcompton24: consider this as a warning.
Kindly stop posting new threads asking the same question on the different forums. You will receive help shortly now that your thread is in the right forum. I've deleted more than 3 other different identical threads from you around the forums.

Have you tried to install any service packs through Windows Update?

I googled a bit about your problem. Some others (some, not many) report similar problem but other threads i found didn't provide a solid answer how to resolve the issue. You might look at this link. The general consensus in a few threads were
1) Try to install while in Safe mode
2) Contact microsoft for assistance to install the service pack (they should do it for free)

Good luck. let us know if how it goes

i dont have the install cd's and sp1a says the same thing
Okay bcompton24, quick question since i deal quite a bit with this sort of thing, is it a legitimate copy or pirated? Where did you get your copy as it may be an error created in the compilation of your copy.

for xp anything is simple- go to microsoft homepage,select products. SP3 update includes previous version of Sp2,so you shouldn't have problems at all. if that all fails,try this- backup all of your data at external HDD,get a copy(I would suggest original Xp,it's not so expensive and you will have less headache later),go to BIOS,select your cd/dvd rom as first boot device,insert your Xp cd and exit,by saving changes. When it boots up,you should recieve ar request- press any key to boot from CD. Press it,follow instrukctions and select- repair xp(due to some reason,some of your files may be deleted,that's why you should back up your data. Probably you will need some drivers too. If there's something wrong with your OS,it will be repaired from CD. After repair,go again to BIOS,select your primary boot device(your HDD),save and exit(will be another restart),after that you should be able to update to SP2 and get your update for SP3. Of course- SP3 is availabile only,if your copy of XP have passed Geniune validation check. If you have pirate copy,you don't even need to try this- it won't work.
About your error- ntoskrnl.exe is a critical process in the boot-up cycle of your computer although should never appear in WinTasks whilst under normal circumstances, It provides the Kernel and Executive layers of the Windows NT kernel space, and is responsible for various system services such as hardware virtualization, process and memory management, etc., thus making it a fundamental part of the system. It contains the Cache Manager, the Executive, the Kernel, the Security Reference Monitor, the Memory Manager, and the Scheduler, among other things. If it's corrupted(as it seems),you should simply repair it(using CD as I said).
Second thing why are you getting this- your PC's drivers may be out of date. This may cause hardware failures, conflicts and even complete system crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back