TechSpot

Can't boot from cd

By uncle
Feb 14, 2009
  1. Hi all. My system recovered from virus about 3 months ago, but have not been running right since. Problems include unable to do system restore or enabling firewall and others. Now i have decided to do a clean install, but cant boot from cd. I get into bios highlite boot then move to
    hard drive
    Cd
    floppy
    Nic
    The option say to use the shift + 1 key to enable or disable a device. So i did that to enable CD an disable hard drive, but when i restart it says it cant find a boot drive. I notice that there is a + (plus) sign beside the Hard drive but when i enable CD it shows ! (exlcamation) sign. ! also shows when i disable HDD. How do i get it to boot from CD.
    Pentium4 cpu 2.6

2. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

uncle, I can't help you per say but I think this would be a lot better if you posted this problem wither under General Hardware or Storage where they deal with the subject of harddrive issues/problems. I think you'll get a quicker answer. Good luck.

-- Route44

3. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

If you haven't worked out this problem yet, go to

UPDATED 8-step Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

4. colin12

colin12 TS Rookie

I am having a problem with sony vio, PCG-7113L, Vista premium,
    boots to windows loading bar and reboots,

tried f8 to last known good, tried safe mode, tried start win normally, nothing....
    I have a win premium dvd, but wont start from cd,
    no sony repair /recover disk,

i think the mbr is messed, as customer has said it suffered a power outage a week ago ?????
    Any assistance greatly appreciate, befor i revert to xp :}

5. colin12

colin12 TS Rookie

sony vio, PCG-7113L, Vista premium, no boot

I am having a problem with
    boots to windows loading bar and reboots,

tried f8 to last known good, tried safe mode, tried start win normally, nothing....
    I have a win premium dvd, but wont start from cd,
    no sony repair /recover disk,

i think the mbr is messed, as customer has said it suffered a power outage a week ago ?????
    Any assistance greatly appreciate, before i revert to xp :}

6. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You likely have the Green Valley Investation.... evilware is getting into the systems of primarily laptops, and infecting the system... then somehow affecting certain laptop BIOS in a way that prevents boots or repairs... We have now seen 40 cases in Southern Arizona. I suspect we will see it spread everywhere, and nobody yet has a solution.
    We are seeing it in Sony, Toshiba Satellite, Gateway, and Compaq laptops...
    More later.

7. justice98

justice98 TS Rookie

I'm having that exact same problem. Still haven't figured it out yet.

8. Route44

Route44 TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 11,966   +70

Take raybay's earlier posted advice and go to the Virus and Malware forum. read the stickie on the 8 Steps and follow their directions as spelled out.

Then post the required logs under your own thread. Good luck.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.