Cant boot from hd or cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

probizzle

ok so my friend at his work said they were throwing away a couple good dell computers (Gx260) i thinkp4 1.4ghz the small tiny ones so i told him to grab me 2 of them so he did. so they came with windows 2000professional on it and was password protected so i was going to try to install xp so i switched the hd out for a bigger one and this is what im getting. i boot from the cd rom drive and it says strike f1 to retry boot, f2 for setup utility? and if i push f1 it displays the same error over and over agian, and if i try to boot from the hard drive it says error loading operating system? i i thought it might be the cd rom so i swapped it out for a dif one and does the same thing. any help?

You were given two options F1 (you tried) and F2 (umm nothing!)

F2 will allow you to set up the boot order for CD as first bootable drive

ive pushed f2 it takes me to the bios and i have changed it to boot from the cd rom
thats the first thing i did

ive pushed f2 it takes me to the bios and i have changed it to boot from the cd rom
thats the first thing i did

Probably should have mentioned that

It must mean:
your Cd is faulty
The cd drive is faulty
The CD (disc) is not bootable

ok well i got 2 diffrent xp cds and they both end up doing the same thing i tried one and the computer froze after i said to boot it from the cd rom. i tried the other xp cd and it gives me the same error any clue now?

ok well i got a new error when booting from a cd it says "CDBOOT: Cannont boot from CD - Code : 4"
any clue?

ive tried 3 diffrent cd roms and get the same error and ur saying a faulty cd drive.... ive taken a working cd drive out of my working computer and got the same error... wierd

Ok

CD is bootable
CD is known working
Drive is known working

Jumper on back of ATA CD/DVD Drive set to CS or Master (just swap it ie instead of Master make it CS)

Data cable (ATA or Sata) ?
Motherboard (Although you could connect the drive to the Hard Drive connection (and temporarily remove the Hard Drive just to confirm)

ok the drive is set to master and i hooked up a floppy drive and made a 98 boot disk to see if that would work but when i hooked up the floppy and told it to boot all i get is a blinking line and nothing comes up im about to give up on this thing

lol (although you're serious)

Have you got both Sata and IDE together in that machine?
Sometimes that just doesn't work (ie you may need a Sata CD/DVD)

ok the drive is set to master

Have you tried CS (the norm)

Also you have:

IDE 0 going to HDD (CS)
IDE 1 going to CD (CS)

I hope

And did you try putting the CD into IDE 0 (and removing the HDD) just to test if the CD boots

One last option, sometimes the floppy can cause IDE issues (just unplug the data cable (M/B end)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back