Can't Boot Past Intel Splash Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went to to install Microsoft One Care on my XP Pro SP2 box the other day. After starting the installation, a screen came up that said the virtual memory was too low and Windows was reboting (I had no choice on the reboot). After the attempted reboot, the computer gets stuck on the Intel splash screen.

I have tried using boot disks (with Bart PE) and have not been able to boot to disk. I am have not been able to get into the BIOs either. The screen says it is going into BIOs, but then it jumps back to Intel splash screen.

I swapped out the motherboard battery just in case, but no change.

Suggestions?

Hi Big Al :wave: and welcome to TechSpot

Please download and test your Ram with Memtest (7 Passes required)

For further help, after reporting back with Memtests results.
Please put your system specs in your Profile

Will it boot into SAFE MODE? If so, the problem is fixable, and may have to do with the video graphics or memory. First thing to do is download from the hard drive manufacturer their hard drive fitness test. Every company but Toshiba has one.
You might want to attempt a repair by booting to your Windows Disc and seeking the Repair Mode. (Not all versions of windows recovery or restore disks have it.)
Otherwise, what you describe is a common problem of a failing hard drive. It might be worth replacing it if out of warranty, and saving the problem one for recovery of data while used as a Slave. If it is failing, it could get worse quickly and reduce chances you can rescue everything.
If you try MemTest86, they offer a version you can boot from a floppy or a flash drive.

Thank you all....

The problem turned out to be an IOGEAR Universal Media Hub I installed....
It went South and would not power up. As soon as I removed it from the equation, all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back