TechSpot

Can't boot PC, no apparent hardware problems present

By Artemix
Nov 22, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Hi, first time here.

A couple of days ago, my pc didn't shut down normally, because some windows 7 patches were installing, just normal stuff. So, I turned off the monitor and leaved the room.

Today, when I start the PC, I get an error saying: "Error loading operating system".

So I thought, fine, Windows updates screwed up my OS, lets make a quick repair so everything goes back to normal. Nope.

For some reason I cant start from my Windows DVD, even having the proper boot order in the BIOS. It just doesn't read my DVD at all.

A year ago I installed this PC without problems, but now it refuses to boot from the DVD, which makes my PC unusable because the OS is broken.

Any ideas?

2. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,850   +184

Try booting into safe mode, If you can. It my only need you to run a check disk. Hopefully!!!! If not your hard drive may have crashed.

3. Artemix

Artemix TS Rookie Topic Starter

I cant boot, at all, my OS is fried or something. After the POST I get a black screen that last ~8 seconds, then I got the mentioned error.

4. Cobalt006

Cobalt006 TS Maniac Posts: 1,850   +184

It should at least let you boot from cd/dvd . Recheck your settings in the bios. Your os is fried AS you said. The cdrom still should boot your win cd.

5. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

It may be a failed hard drive, but if you can't boot from the optical drive, it may also be bad

6. Artemix

Artemix TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah.. what bothers me is that after I put the DVD into the DVD-rom, it seems like the DVD is being read, but when I turn on the PC there is not even an attempt of a read, the led doesn't turn on, and whats even weirder, is that there is no "Press a key to boot from the cd" message either.

7. Tmagic650

Tmagic650 TS Ambassador Posts: 20,934   +167

Is the optical drive listed first in the bios boot menu?

8. misor

misor TS Maniac Posts: 1,020   +153

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.