Can't boot to safe mode

By marygg
Dec 6, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. I'm working on a little Gateway that doesn't have a cd drive and I can't find a style name. The computer was dropped. It boots in a loop of the Microsoft logo and the Gateway logo. Can't get to safe mode and not getting a post beep. It has usb ports. Can I take out the hard drive and slave it to my desktop?
  2. dustin_ds3000

dustin_ds3000 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,128

It sounds like when the laptop was dropped the HDD was damaged, i have seen this happen a few times. Even drops from a foot or two can make the HDD useless. IF the HDD that you need to hook up to a desktop is SATA then all you need to do is put it into a desktop that has SATA too. then you could try to recover the data. If the HDD is IDE then you will need a Laptop 2.5" to Desktop 3.5" IDE Hard Drive Adapter Converter like this one for $8
  3. marygg

marygg TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 135

I've got the hdd connected to my desktop and it's being scanned by Malwarebytes. I think that must mean the hdd is working ok. If there is a glitch in the OS, how can I fix it?
  4. marygg

marygg TechSpot Enthusiast Topic Starter Posts: 135

Solved. I slaved the laptop hdd to my desk top. I ran several cleaners and reinstalled the hdd. It still didn't work so I hooked it up again and ran another series. I reinstalled the hdd and the os started up fine. I used HijackThis to remove remnants of "Mywebsearch." Thanks for you help. This was the first time I slaved a laptop hdd. I've done desk tops many times. Again, thank you.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.