Can't change GTX 260 voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

princeton

Hi,

I have a problem. In MSI Afterburner even when I enable the voltage control and restart I can't enter a voltage or use the slider. Does anyone know what my problem is? I am using the latest afterburner 1.5.1 and nvidia forceware 186.18.

Why are you changing the voltage anyway. Unless you're watercooling your card you definately shouldnt be doing that.

Hi princeton. I was having exactly the same issue with my Powercolor Radeon HD 4890. What I found out ultimately was that if your card is a non-reference design then the voltage control is locked. Only reference design cards can have their voltages changed.

Well. I force the fan at 70% and am yet to see the card go above 45 degrees when gaming.

I'm sure its possible to achieve those clocks with higher voltages. I dont think you understand the small increment increases of voltages can do to your video card. Definately decreases its lifespan, especially if not properly water cooled.

If you have to ask about voltage changes when the answers can be found by using google then you shouldnt even consider doing it. There are ways to get around not being able to increase your voltages. Ive done it with my 295 but I did plenty of research before learning to understand how just 200mv's can increase the temp of a 200 series card by 15C even at idle when overclocked. Just be sure you read up on it plenty.

There are ways to get around not being able to increase your voltages.

Hey supersmash. It would be nice if you could post a few details about how to do it without messing around with the voltages. After a point can you achieve any increase in speed without upping the voltage?

You could try EVGA's overvoltage utility. I forgot what its called you'll have to look it up.
As mentioned overvolting graphics cards carries much higher risk than cpus.

You could try EVGA's overvoltage utility.

Sadly that won't work with the HD 4890 I presume. EVGA provides software targeted at nVidia cards. But is should help the OP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back