Can't charge laptop, how do I fix or how do I transfer data over to a new laptop?

So basically like the title says, I can't charge the laptop, I know the charger works though because I tried it another laptop that's the exact same as mine and it works on the other laptop but not mine, is there any inexpensive way I can fix it?

If not then can someone guide me through how to transfer the data over to another laptop?

Thanks!

To transfer data, remove the disk and connect it to the other laptop using an adapter such as this or put it in an enclosure.

Once connected, the laptop will see the HDD as a removable storage and you can click and drag files from one to the other.

so can you explain how to remove the disk?

It varies. Could be a small cover that needs to be removed or just a screw. Google using your laptop's make and model plus the words service manual.

I forgot to mention...your non-working laptop, if it has IDE connection, be careful w/ the pins at the connection as you remove the drive.

I wasn't careful when I removed a drive and bent a pin. Actually, the drive removal went well. It was removing an adapter from the connection. Anyway, I was lucky and was able to bend the pin back.

I forgot to mention...your non-working laptop, if it has IDE connection, be careful w/ the pins at the connection as you remove the drive.

I wasn't careful when I removed a drive and bent a pin. Actually, the drive removal went well. It was removing an adapter from the connection. Anyway, I was lucky and was able to bend the pin back.

Oh, and one more question, I have two drives installed on my laptop, one is drive C: and the other drive D:

If I plug in the cable and get everything up, will I be able to copy files from both those drives or only one?

After the drive is connected to another computer, it'll see both drives. Although they won't be C & D anymore. Might be D & E, or something else. The two new drives showing up in My Computer will be the one you plugged in.

...like I pointed out, this is an old computer.
Where did you point this out? I don't think you mentioned the age of your laptop anywhere. It might be helpful if you did mention what laptop you have and at the very least it couldn't hurt.

I know the charger works though because I tried it another laptop that's the exact same as mine and it works on the other laptop but not mine

I haven't really thought of the battery being the problem until Shiney mentioned it. Since the other laptop is same as yours, I suppose you can try swapping batteries. If that turns out to be the problem, then you should be able to find a replacement online somewhere.

I don't know how old your laptop is, but if I can find battery for my 10+ yr old laptop (Toshiba Satellite 335CDT), I think yours can be found as well.

I would bet the issue is the battery. Unless of course it's a Dell laptop, than it may be a cheap connection to the motherboard. I've read a few articles concerning an issue with Dell power adapters as well as the piece that connects the power cord to the motherboard. But... assuming that's not the case and it is actually the battery: Even if it is an old laptop you may be able to find a replacement on ebay or a similar site. Simply searching google you will likely find compatible batteries (try searching the part number on the battery itself).

I haven't really thought of the battery being the problem until Shiney mentioned it. Since the other laptop is same as yours, I suppose you can try swapping batteries. If that turns out to be the problem, then you should be able to find a replacement online somewhere.

I don't know how old your laptop is, but if I can find battery for my 10+ yr old laptop (Toshiba Satellite 335CDT), I think yours can be found as well.
Oh, alright, but how will I charge that battery? It's not the battery problem, but it's because something's wrong that's why the battery is not receiving electricity or something, but I'm sure it's not the battery's fault.

Where did you point this out? I don't think you mentioned the age of your laptop anywhere. It might be helpful if you did mention what laptop you have and at the very least it couldn't hurt.

Oh, sorry, I thought I wrote it somewhere...well, my laptop is at least 3 years old and it's an asus brand.

Back