Can't complete boot into Windows 2000 Pro- screen goes gray

By rshepherd
Dec 4, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My Sony laptop suddenly won't boot; it seems Ok and then when the screen would normally color up it goes gray to black. I am able to get to safe mode, but can't figure this one out. Could this be failing memory?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

3. rshepherd

rshepherd Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I had looked at that thread previously, and have tried to run Microsoft's memory diagnostic. Unfortunately, it loads on a boot disk, and we end up at the gray going to black screen. (Can't see anything to diagnose the problem.) I can still boot into Safe mode, however. If I could find a utility to check memory that could be run from Safe mode I might learn something.
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Download and run memtest86+ from www.memtest.org

let it run for at least seven passes.

Regards Howard [​IMG]
  5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff Newcomer, in training Posts: 8,165

In safe mode, you could try to uninstall the graphics drivers and revert back to standard VGA mode. Then reboot in normal mode. If it now works, your drivers were at fault. Look for an update on the web.
  6. rshepherd

rshepherd Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Thanks, I tried that to no avail; this must be the bug from hell. It appears to be a virus, not a hardware issue. I have run Memtest 86, disk diagnostics, etc., yet no clear answer. Time has run out, and therefore it is time to format the harddrive and move on. Thanks to everyone for offering assistance.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.