can't complete home network setup in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

hewybo

Have been trying for a week to set up a wired home network between my mom's machine and mine. They are ten feet apart in the same room. My main goal is to allow her to access the printers attached to my machine. Hers has XP Home, mine is Pro.

I have run the "Network Setup Wizard" a dozen times. I have visited all relevant M$ kb's, troubleshoots, and no less than four other sites' setup and troubleshooting areas. Here's what happens:

After restart, my mom's recognizes her own system on thew "my network places," but not mine. Mine takes forever under "entire network" to load the network name, then after a double-click, I get a message saying the net is not accessible, and I may not have admin priviliges, so I should contact the network administrator. As a result, I have contacted myself (I have admin on both machines) numerous times, and I cannot help me.

Both machines ping one another by IP address without a hitch, but neither can ping the other's computer name. Please, someone, tell me the one click I didn't make (or ten), cuz I didn't think I was this stupid. I'm beginning to wonder. Thanks- :knock:

Don't know if this will help you since my network is wireless but in order to get file and printer sharing I had to first install the IPX/SPX protocol. Then run the network setup wizard. I'm no network person so don't take my word for it.

easiest thing to do is to create an account for each on both pc's(right click my computer manage, users and groups etc).. ..join both pc'c to same workgroup and share out the resources you need..give admin rights if you need them.

not working

toffeapple said:
easiest thing to do is to create an account for each on both pc's(right click my computer manage, users and groups etc).. ..join both pc'c to same workgroup and share out the resources you need..give admin rights if you need them.
Both of us are administrators on both machines. Hers is XP Home- manager does not list "users and groups." When I enter her computer name on mine, it cannot be found? :hotouch:

Hi,
I had a silimar problem before. Try checking if there are any firewall programs running on the background (especially those that come with antivirus software) and disable em. Try sharing a folder or two to the network.

file and print sharing

Make sure you list the printer as "shared". I'd mark one folder as "shared" as well just so you have something to find though the network setup disc should have done that. After you set your printer to shared, go to her's and install a printer making sure you check network printer. You should see the printer to use listed.
How are they cabled? Not sure about this but if it's a direct connect you may need a crossover LAN cable.
http://www.smartcomputing.com/Edito...cle=articles/2004/w1510/38w02/38w02.asp&guid=

How you doing????

hewybo said:
Both of us are administrators on both machines. Hers is XP Home- manager does not list "users and groups." When I enter her computer name on mine, it cannot be found? :hotouch:
Get it working?????

nope. just got a router today, to replace the switch, thinking that might help. no luck. can still ping by IP address both ways, but not by computer name either way.!!!! surely the onboard LANS don't have to be synched, or something? nah- the IP ping works. I may start shopping for C4! oops! just scrolled up and saw your first post. originally, i had a netgear 4 port switch, and ran M$ setup wizard, using the "gateway" option. now i've gone to the router, same crap. i did run the disc that came with the router. i set up my C drive as shared, but hers won't "see" it. i installed software for both printers on her machine; it lists them, but shows them "offline." i'm gettin purdy fursterated, by gum! :dead:

Hi,

Try to get em all under the same work group first...
Start ---> Control Panel ---> System ---> Computer Name ---> Change

Try setting all up under 'auto' as in "My Network Places ---> Set up a home or small office network" aka Network Setup Wizard
Make the main comp as 'My comp connects direcly to the internet....., other comps connect to it'
and the other comp as... uh cant remember exactly, 'but it connects to another comp' or something like that..
Should be fine if you're running between 2 comps with a crossover cable. and the same goes with a router. :rolleyes:

i'll try that, but then i think my machine always has to be on for her to use internet connect. i keep reading that i have to install NetBEUI (2 files) from my windows CD, but i can't find them on it. just a reference that netbeui is no longer supported because of the IP/IPC protocol. this is nuts!

Yep, her comp would connect to the internet (so is using the printer) through your one. But if she has an individual internet connection, then there's no need to keep your comp on.

Regarding the NetBEUI thingy, i've got no idea whats that. Windows never asked me to install any files during network setup. :dead:

Got Plastic explosives?

NOTHING WORKS! I have worn out the configuration side of my brain. I'm sposed to copy two files to folders I can't find, which is OK because I can't find the files either. My ISP says I have to install Net BEUI, which Windows no longer supports, but the files for it are on my XP CD. They are, but I cannot locate the folders ( %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\directory; and %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\directory) to copy them to. Why the hell can't the TCP/IP* protocol handle this?

* - these letters may or may not resemble anything like what I mean. :hotbounce

run ipconfig

Run ... cmd.. and at the prompt type ipconfig. ipconfig /? lists switches. ipconfig /renew may help.
Post results for each computer
Subnet should be the same, gateway should be the same, IPaddress should be the same except for last 3 digits. As to internet.. if you still have PPPoE set on a single box, remove it if you are connecting the modem to the router. Right click on TV icons in corner of taskbar. Click open network connections. Report what you find.
As to adding protocols... Try the last one. See image at bottom.
Not sure why your ISP need NetBEUI though.
Try a search in XP looking for a computer by name. See if you can see each that way. start:search:computers or people... type in other box name. When all else fails remove drivers from LAN card (and pull card if you can) and reboot. If you pulled the card, then shut down and put card in reboot and reinstall drivers (probably need floppy or CD for those) My guess is her's is fine but your network on your is mucked up.
Also try to be more specific, you started off w/ just trying to print share (never mentioned using a switch) and now your up to a router and ISP (which ISP do you use and how do you connect??)problems. Full info or one step at a time please.
win XP is usually a cakewalk as to network setup.
BTW: Try shutting everything off. Then turn modem on the router. then boxes, pausing a bit between turn ons.
I do understand your frustration and it probably is a simple thing. As a side (which doen't apply in your case, I once fought a DSL install for hours before I realized I plugged a network cable into a modem port :)
TCP/IP should be fine for your network (ISP not included).
Try for help here as well. Ther a lot better than me. You can set up an "alternate" connection manually that XP will default to if main network is inaccessable but that setup shouldn't be necessary. Make sure you are OK in harware manager as well. No question marks and LAN card visible.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sharing

www.qualiteitems.com/images/network.jpg

tried it all

tried your suggestions- first and foremost, thanks for your attention to this, and for forgiving my incomplete posts; I should know better by now-
different results, same basic problem.
tried IP config; readings were as they should be. the link at the bottom of your post post was too unclear for these old eyes, but did my best.

system 1
Here is what I'm running: NetGearRP614 router
Motorola Surfboard cable modem (ethernet)
Cox Communications High Speed Internet (4Mbs down, 512 kbps up)
Marvell Yukon 88E8001/8003/8010 PCI Gigabit Ethernet Controller (onboard ASUS P5P800 mobo)
Windows XP Pro

system 2
Windows XP Home
shared Cox connection
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter onboard ASUS P4V8X-MX

after changing some settings in "network connections," system 1 now recognizes itself, and shows shared folders and shared drive. It can ping system 2, as before, by IP address, but not by computer name.
System 2 now recognizes nothing, and pings by Ip address to system 1 all fail.

About NetBEUI: my ISP says I need to enable it, but not why. I have copied the two files from the PRO install disk, but cannot find the folders they are to be copied to, to wit: %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\directory, and %SYSTEMROOT%\INF\directory.
plastic explosives are sounding better and better. Once again, I sincerely appreciate your assistance. :bounce: :dead: :dead:

Not entirely sure, but I seem to remember that the disk and printer sharing stuff is one of the features that's missing from XP Home, and that you will need XP Pro on both ends.

That would explain why you cannot find the NetBEUI/NetBIOS files on your XP Home CD: They're just not there.

yup

That's what's listed, alright. cables are attached as you said; all new, all CAT5. New problem I am about to try to solve after I post this- last night I tried to update the router at Netgears' site, but it froze, and I couldn't get back on the net, maybe a temp site problem, so I went back through the 5 port switch. I will now re-install the router, re-try the update, and post the results. I didn't know I was taking on a new hobby!
update: tried to reinstall router, but system hangs at Netgear's update site. Now I don't know if they have site trouble, or if the router is crap. C4, C4, C4! :monkey:

cancel the plastique!

Apparently, it was all at my ISP! After a bit of a struggle, I managed to get the files from my XP Pro disc installed on both machines to set up Net BEUI.
jeffkrol- you're right, apparently. XP should be a cakewalk for home network, but certain ISPs seem to not like having routers, OS's, etc., assigning IP addresses on their own, or something. I read a post on another forum that was cussing his router because "it don't work with Comcast or Motorola modems!" Now I've foud out , I'll try to find him again, and give him a "heads up."

THANKS AND THANKS!!! to you all for your untiring efforts on my behalf. I love this forum. :haha: :wave: :D

p.s. didn't say it, but- yes, my little network is up and running splendidly.

jeffkrol said:
We run XP home. PRO and 98 at work(were in transition, only 2-98's left, yeaah)l. All talk fine
You're right.
Sorry, I was mistaken. It's just the corporate domain membership stuff that's missing from the home edition.

This is probably the first time I hear that ISPs cause XP networks to need more than TCP/IP to work. NetBEUI should have been dead years ago.

That's why I'm a bit suspicious about this. A router or a switch shouldn't cause one operating system's networking to require protocols they don't normally need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back