cant connect to 127.0.0.1 ...wtf?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmare

for some reason my computer times out when trying to connect to 127.0.0.1 all of a sudden. im running on a windows xp home edition and i recently plugged my ethernet cable strait into my comp because my router didnt allow port forwarding. any idea whats going on?

What program is trying to connect to 127.0.0.1? (127.0.0.1 is always your own computer BTW)

yea i know its my own computer, thats why im so confused. it should be able to connect to it even without internet access. and its basicly anything that cant connect to it, firefox mainly because im trying to test out my website through it using dremweaver but it cant connect to 127.0.0.1

Try typing "localhost" instead of 127.0.0.1. Dumb solution, I know, but it might do the trick. :D

Some firewall software is paranoid enough to filter the loopback interface. Also, you do need a server side program running even if you are connecting to your own machine.

lol if 127.0.0.1 wont work then localhost definately wont (nor will anything in the "hosts" file that points to 127.0.0.1) and the firewall software isnt doing it, i tried with and w/o firewall and nothing even notified me i was connecting to anything. Maybe its windows stupid firewall thats being retarded, though i think i shut that down.

also, what so you mean i need to be running serverside programs?

If a program tries to connect to 127.0.0.1, then it is trying to access some service running on port X. You have to have a program running on your computer that is listening on port X and providing the service for the connection to succeed.

do you happen to know what program that is?

edit- lol we replied at same time, well i know about apache webserver, but when i used my router, i never need to host a webserver, i could just connect to my localhost and it would work. Now, even if i am running a server (such as shoutcast) it cannot connect. That actually reminds me, shoutcast is a perfect example, whenever i try to run shoutcast and connect to myself it just keeps disconnecting.

If I'm not wrong windows XP home does not have IIS component installed. Not sure even webserver is supported. Is there any program running on that ip?

How bout get ip address in ipconfig and then just try to connect to that IP

Why not assign yourself a static IP address and have your router forward requests to that IP address? This is what I do for things like TS/ventrilo/Web Pages through Apache.

IIS is not supported on XP home, you will need server 2003 for IIS 6.0.

well, i understand now why i cant connect to localhost, but now i am wondering what i can do to setup IIS for home edition. i hope its possibe because if it isnt then i will eat microsoft for being retarded.

also about the forwarding through my router, unfortunately my router does not allow me to change my forwarding settings, which is why i stopped using it.

If you can swing it, money wise, go and buy yourself an El Cheapo router. Something like a Linksysys should be approx 60 to 80 bucks before Mail in Rebate. This would clear all your problems up. If you can't do this, then drop to Dos and do an ipconfig, use this IP information for the address the program should be listening on.

I have gone through this. You cant setup IIS on XP home. Best way would be upgrade to Windows XP Pro or install it on seperate partition.

You can get some cheap router. I remember seeing wireless DSL router for just 16.94$ on one of edealinfo.com site.

knightmare said:
well, i understand now why i cant connect to localhost, but now i am wondering what i can do to setup IIS for home edition. i hope its possibe because if it isnt then i will eat microsoft for being retarded.

also about the forwarding through my router, unfortunately my router does not allow me to change my forwarding settings, which is why i stopped using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back