Can't connect to Internet on new XP install?

I read another topic where he had a similar problem, not being able to create an internet connection in Windows XP, but his problem appeared to be different to my own.

I'm plugged into a Siemens Gigaset SE567 Router/Modem, the one I've been using for years with all my computers, whether wirelessly or through an ethernet cable. It's always worked fine with this computer. I recently reinstalled windows, having the original OS format the hard drive during the reinstall, since I wanted to get rid of all the viruses and other garbage and make the computer usable again.

However, with my router/modem plugged in, all the cables set correctly, and even the wireless connection working flawlessly for two laptops in the same house, there is literally nothing showing up in the Network Connections folder. No familiar "Local Connection," absolutely nothing. I tried using the troubleshooter, and that didn't help me, because it kept mentioning ports to check in the device manager that weren't there. Clicking "set up a new internet connection" and going through the options to choose the "always-on broadband" type, it just says "Your connection should already be set up" and leaves me with nothing.

I have done literally nothing with this computer save for install the OS. What could be the problem?

On a side note, when I drag any windows around the screen, they lag like crazy, as though the processor is being used up completely, but I am running nothing. Again, brand new install, so I'm kind of confused. Any help appreciated!

You didn't mention anything about installing all of the drivers which needs to be done anytime you install Windows. The lag you describe sounds like only the Windows generic graphics driver is in use, not the proper graphics driver.

Either use the driver CD that may have come with the PC or motherboard or go to the motherboard/PC maker's website for the drivers.

You're right, I did not use any CD to install the drivers. However, I don't think I actually have the CD, so I'd have to go to the website. Just one hitch; if I didn't make it clear in my first post, I can't connect to the internet. I'm confused why a lot of the advice consists of going to the manufacturer's website, when there's no internet connection. Can I go to that website without a connection, or do I have to use another computer and stick the drivers on a flash drive or something?

I realize you can't connect to the internet because you don't have the drivers to do so. Yes, you will have to use another computer to download the drivers and transfer the files in some manner. If not, what are your alternatives? For next time it would be simplest if you download and store the necessary drivers before you reinstall your operating system.

If your graphics card's GPU was manufactured by nVidia or ATI/AMD, go to their respective websites for the latest drivers.

Okay, and once I've gotten all the necessary drivers, do I just throw them on a flash drive and transport them to the other computer with no modifications or changes? Thanks for the quick replies.

Okay, and once I've gotten all the necessary drivers, do I just throw them on a flash drive and transport them to the other computer with no modifications or changes? Thanks for the quick replies.
yes. the network card is the most important. once you get that one you can do everything from the same computer indluding detecting and finding the appropriate drivers for all of your other components.

I have the same proble.First reinstall was with ctrl/F11 and it worked fine. Later on, when done again, I also included a new grapics card from a CD. This changed my network adapter and now my comp doesn't detect it. I am connected to a broadband that is always on, works great. Is there a way I can get my network adapter set back to the original one? I have the driver info and I searched and downloaded it, installed it and the new graphics card over rode it so I did it again with the new graphics card removed and it's still using the new driver info although it'snot installed. How's that for harry business? My comp is a dell dimension 3000, older then the rock my kids kick around. Factory reset worked great with internet connection, til the new graphics card was installed. I finally got it to detect my modem but it still had the yellow exclamation point on the network adapter.
Windows xp home edition, sp2, DIM3000, intel(R) Celeron(R), CPU 2.40ghz, 2.39 GHz, 256 RAM and the card is realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC. The other card was Realtek RTL8086. I"m screwed, right?

thanks for any advice.Hope I gave enough info

Believing that a Windows XP computer would run much better if the OS was freshly installed is folly. It's going to take a lot of work even with all the disks and drivers to hand.

The two cases here illustrate that it was a bad idea and only worth considering if Windows has given up the ghost entirely. My oldest desktop is still running XP SP3 after 13 years and although I have defragged and run regular security scans the only other thing I’ve done is use CCleaner to look for registry problems. If it’s working you can usefully tidy it up but wiping it and it and starting from scratch is a mistake. The second guest has only updated the OS to SP2 so it’s not as secure as it should be. Even a fully updated XP system is risky now. Moving from SP2 to SP3 was often a problem so I’d suggest it’s time to look into getting a new system.

In the Summer Windows 10 will be be here but, if you can’t wait, buy a computer running Windows 8.1 which will have a free upgrade to the next OS.

Back