Can't connect to LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toshiba Satelite A105 and up until this weekend, the lan cable and the computer were working fine. Then, i turned off the computer for the weekend and now the internet doesn't even connect. In fact, i don't even see the lan connection anymore. I see the wireless and the 1394 but not the lan anymore. I've restarted my laptop many times and sometimes if i'm lucky the lan will be there but not connected even if the cable is connected. What am i supposed to do? Help please.!!!

Start --> Run--> CMD

Type each line and then press enter

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
ipconfig /renew
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"

Try Lan again (or Internet)

Also this thread should have been posted in Security and the Web forum (but that's ok)

Thank you, but when i tried it. For the "release", it said that it wouldn't work when the media is disconnected. But the cord was connected.

Go to your Network connections folder and enable the network icon.

Start-->AllPrograms-->Accessories-->Communications-->Network Connections

The Network Connections window will then open

One of those connections is probably disabled (the one that you use)
Just right click on your one (or all of them individually) and select Enable

Try Lan or Internet again
If you were able to Enable your network connection, you may need to restart or repair the network connection (again right click on the connection select Repair)

Did it work now?

i understand what you're saying but i've tried enabling and disabling and re-enabling my local area connection. But nothing has worked. In fact, sometimes the lan connection is visible in the network connections window, then it's gone without me touching anything or restarting anything. I think the lan adapter may be corrupted but i dont know how to fix it.

it's more likely that you have multiple connections and they are getting the same
ip address.

Be sure you ONLY use DHCP and no static addresses.

but i've been using my laptop for at least a year and it has been working fine. Lately before the windows xp window shows up, a black screen comes up saying the lan adapter may be corrupted or not configured.

It may be a matter of re-installing your network driver

Please put your System Specs in your Profile

If you have a proprietory computer like Dell; HP; Acer etc, please manually write this in the mobo field (ie Dell Dimension 3100 - as an example)

It sometimes is as simple as deleting your nic from device manager and rebooting. Let windows pick up the drivers for it again and go from there.

sometimes i can't even find the network adapter when i look under the device manager. I would try uninstalling it but it doesnt even show up, and i've been trying for two days.

i downloaded the network driver and i guess i extracted it but i don't really know what to do next? Do i put it somewhere? The lan adapter is not in the device listing so i don't know what to do, all there is is the 1394 and Intel pro wireless network connection.

Go to CMOS and enable the LAN there

CMOS:
On starting your computer, you should see a quick prompt to go to CMOS (or Setup) It is usually hit DEL or F2 or some other key.

Once in CMOS look around on all the settings, until you find Network or LAN, confirm it is Enabled

Save and Exit

In Windows, go to Device Manager
Start->Run->devmgmt.msc

Click on the plus + sign on Network Adapters
Right click on your Network Adaptor and select update driver
Point it to the extracted download provided above

I don't know whether this helps or is related, but my toshiba has an issue with the LCD that seems to work just like yours: starts and stops at random during startup?

Thank you everyone, but it's still not working. One main thing is that i can't locate the network driver, as in it isn't seen. The lan is enabled, but i cant locate the driver thus i cant update it.

the device manager only shows the wireless network and the 1394. Sometimes the lan network adapter will show up for one second, then disappear again. Moreover, when it shows up, my laptop starts to glitch. For example, the mouse doesnt move fluidly across the screen but will pause for a second before sliding over.

Sorry.

The USB can be connected to most modems (modem driver required)
This may not help when connecting to a Network hub!

It just sounds as though you may have a hardware fault on the Lan

i'm guessing there's nothing i can do. Thank you very much for trying though. There's something else too. Before the windows screen starts up, my laptop usually restarts itself before it gets to the windows screen.

You never answered if Lan has been disabled in CMOS?

Regarding Windows consistantly restarting. have you tried Safe Mode only?
If Safe Mode works. it may be just a faulty driver issue.

Also you might be able to backup in Safe Mode, and consider a System Restore (to when the Lan actually worked) or possibly even a full re-install of Windows.

I say this (Re-Install Windows) just to 100% confirm that it is hardware related

i disabled the lan but then i dont know what else to do. if it is a hardware issue, would the lan still work after i did a system restore? And safe mode doesnt work, usually it would take almost twenty times of me turning on and turning off the laptop before i could reach windows.

the wireless capability works and i was wondering if, for the time being, i could create a wireless internet through my laptop. But i was reading the instructions for my netgear router and i'm thinking that the lan must be connected, which is a problem. So i was wondering how do i create a wireless connection, if possible. Thank you.

with this much trouble, your System Logs should have some good info for us;
run->eventvwr.msc​
start with System
look for Errors, then Warnings. The little document button will copy to the clipboard
so you can paste as a follow-up.

Also investigate the Application Log

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back