Can't connect to network and many more problems with Vista

tmoss

Windows Vista Ultimate...Lately I have had lots of strange things happening...First of all, I started losing permissions to run certain programs such as SuperAntispyware and Malwarebytes and I had not madeany changes to anything.... Eventually ran Microsoft Essentials, Microsoft Malware, and Avira, all said I was Clean...Tried to just look around in some system files (did not change anything) and got my account restricted with black screen...Anyway seems microsoft was changing things on my pc if that's possible... Long story short, I have access back to programs but when I go down to my connect to network icon it says status not available and also says the dependency or group could not be started...Can get online in safe mode, but with no sound...My back-up for Vista was loaded on D-drive and now I can't restore , also some functions such as in user accounts I can't click on any of the tasks... On services page A lot of the services say can't be started on local...A lot of services info has been changed and may be the culprit but not sure...Is there hope?

Pretty clear you have a pernicious malware infection. The clever ones can be hard to shift and require plenty of expertise. If you have that expertise, start from this site https://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html

If you lack that expertise, backup your personal data and reinstall the OS clean.

When you speak of a backup on D: drive, would that just be data or a drive image like Acronis ? If the latter, then you need to boot off a CD which you will (should) have prepared from Acronis install for the very purpose of being able to restore an image when your PC is unbootable or otherwise inoperable. Other drive image software is just the same.

You might describe your hardware in a bit more detail, as well as the age of the hard drives and installation.
This might be a good time to have another experienced person take a look. It is possible an infestation, but it could easily be something that requires a hardware tune-up. Otherwise, we will need a lot more information on your configuration.
I like gbhall's idea of a clean install or update of the OS.

Back