Can't connect to router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

A friend of my father gave me an SMC EZ Switch 10/100 (SMC-EZ108DT) from his work, thinking I could use it. I would love to use this router to play some games over a lan with my friends over at their house, but whenever I try to connect to it I get limited connection issues. Now, I'm not a total lan retard, so I thought I could figure it out, but turns out; I can't. So I'm hopping someone here has a solution for me.

When I plug into the router, and check ipconfig through the cmd I get an IP-adres, a subnetmasker but no standard gateway. I can't ping the router. But strangely (or at least strange to me), when I plug my working internet-providing other router into this one, I CAN use the internet and I CAN ping the internet router and even surf the web. Yet I can't play games on it or reach the router's setup.

By the way, the router has no reset button as far as I can tell.

There, that's all the information I can think up, hope somebody out there has an answer!

Thanks in advance,
Jelle

Did ya ever hear of the RTFM model? :D

Check the SMC Support site to find its manual, drivers and firmware updates all of which sound like should be helpful

btw.. the link i provided if for an SMC-EZ108DT EU. I'll let you check if that's different or same as model you indicated

I have, but I've always been partial to the ORLY? design. :)

I might have forgot to add that I already have visited the SMC support site, but the only things available for download for the SMC-EZ108DT EU (which is the model I have :) ) are the CE Declaration of Conformity and a datasheet that just says how many LEDs are on the cover and such. No manual, driver or firmware update to be found.

Thank you for the quick reply though. ^_^

No manuals? No wonder someone gave it away. :D

1) Have you tried to pull it up using the Part Number (rather then model number)

2) In download search look in the pull down list. Appears there are variants on the model number (probably newer). Some model variants do have manuals (e.g SMC-EZ108DT EU 5 See if its manual is any help (of course, realizing things aren't identical with your model in this case)

I did look it up using the Part Number, no luck. And I have read the manual to the SMC-EZ108DT EU 5, but it's no help either. Just a flimsy manual, 2 pdf pages at most.

The product name and the links shared in the posts indicate that the equipment you are working with is a "switch" which is different from a router. "10/100" identifies it as belonging to the "switch" family of equipment (imho).

The next part of this response is a guess.

Solution with connection to switch
For the network connection > tcp/ip > properties > use static ip > 192.168.x.y
Do this for all computers sharing the switch for game playing.
x = { 1 - 253 }, same value for each computer
y = { 2 - 254 ), different for each computer

It is up to you to get the game working over the peerless, private network. I know nothing about the structures of internet messages that control the flow.

Thanks for the advice, seems I am a total retard when it comes to routers and switches seeing as I didn't realize there was a difference between the two of them. I look it up on google for a bit and try your advice when me and my friends get together.

Thanks for the assistance!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back