Can't connect to the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I recently installed windows xp professional sp3 after I had to reformat my computer due to some errors. I use to connect to the internet vie a Ethernet cable that connects to the back of the pc, but now after I installed this new windows xp it doesn’t connect anymore. I don’t even see the two little computer screen things in the tray to the bottom right hand side of my screen. I really have no idea what’s wrong, I tried running a setup connection wizard but it still didn’t work. Can anyone please help me.

I noticed no one was answering this one so I thought I'd look up a couple of articles and posts to see if I could find something of use. So far, most of the people who have had a problem with losing their Internet from the installation of Service Pack 3 had to remove it and go back to Service Pack 2. For now, I don't think that's going to be a satisfactory answer and I would wait to see if someone comes up with a Service Pack 3 solution since you already have it on your system. I typed in "internet won't connect service pack 3" into the search engines.

A default XP install won't show you the two flashing computer icons. Try this:

Go to your Local Area Connection's TCP/IP properties and set your IP assignment to Automatic. Also make sure Show icon in notification area when connected is ticked (This will let yu see the two computer screens flashing in your system tray)

You router should be setup for DHCP and you should be able to connect to the web now.

U have not said u installed the drivers for the net work card. If not install it, once u have done that u should be able to go to Network Places in Control Panel and click the box that says show icon in notification area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back