Can't copy or access task manager, regedit, control panel, internet due to virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a virus on an older machine of mine running xp. I have tried to perform the intial steps on this site to aid in cleaning it but I can't due to the fact that I can't access the proper resources. I am only interested in getting my music and picture files off of the machine but it will not allow me to copy or cut/paste. Does anyone have any idea how to get the files off of the hard drive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if you have tried the safe mode.

Otherwise I see no other option to reinstall your computer.

I have a similar situation on a PC in my workshop which appears to have a virus but which does not appear on the Kaspersky AV.
If you cannot access the contents of your drive using explorer, you may have to do what I am doing here which is to take the drive out and connect it as a slave to another PC before scanning it again and copying your files across to another drive or perhaps a CD/DVD

I agree, The best way is to take the drive out and change the the jumper as a slave and then copy all you want over... Have you tried a Flash drive????

I had to get files off a computer the other day using the cmd window and the xcopy command. However if you cant get to a run dialog box you can't open a command window either. Careful with the music files as on the one I cleaned the other day, 13 of the corrupt (partially downloaded) MP3s were infected. If you are downloading music via limewire, this is likely where your infection came from. I am seeing an increase in infections from "free" music sharing software. Very very dangerous, not to mention the legality issues.

Flash drive won't help him copy his files if he can't get to a window to access the contents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back