Can't decide what PC to get next

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, right now I have an Apple iMac, The 2006 model. I think it's time to upgrade, but I can't decide what to get. I really want to game, but I want the Mac OS operating system at the same time. I want a really nice gaming rig, but I want the style and sleekness of Mac computers. I know what you're going to say, "Get a Mac Pro," but those are $2000 and I can only spend about $1400-$1500, max. So, what do you think I should do? I want Mac OS X for it's sleek and compact computers, and it's video editing capabilities, but I want a really good gaming rig for Windows gaming. I can't afford a Mac Pro, so what should I do? Tell me if this is in the wrong forum. I couldn't find a forum for this. Thanks!

Nobody can really decide for you whether or not a Mac or PC is the way to go in your shoes. Decide that much for yourself and I'm sure someone will guide you on what to buy based on the platform you've chosen.

Order a computer from Psystar soon (before they get shut down) and slap in a 9600GT (Edit: I see their higher end one you can get with an 8800GT) for less than $150 and you'll be able to play most every game out right now at good quality while being able to run Windows or OS X. The alternative to that is building one of those yourself, if you pick out the right hardware you can probably get OSx86 to work on it.

Really though, unless you are dealing with lots of HD video that iMac should still be fine for you, and I'd do what Didou suggested and get a PC specifically for gaming. You can build one pretty cheap that will play nearly everything out there right now.

I doubt that jimjams because he posted here explictly because he can't game on his iMac.

Ahh right well definately get windows vista and benefit from direct X 10

you can get really good spec laptops and desktops for around £1000 pound sterling

around $1500 i guess

SNGX1275 said:
Order a computer from Psystar soon (before they get shut down) and slap in a 9600GT (Edit: I see their higher end one you can get with an 8800GT) for less than $150 and you'll be able to play most every game out right now at good quality while being able to run Windows or OS X. The alternative to that is building one of those yourself, if you pick out the right hardware you can probably get OSx86 to work on it.

Really though, unless you are dealing with lots of HD video that iMac should still be fine for you, and I'd do what Didou suggested and get a PC specifically for gaming. You can build one pretty cheap that will play nearly everything out there right now.

I've been looking at those Open Computers, that would be nice to have. I'll have to think about it some more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back