TechSpot

can't delete Hacktool.Rootkit

By donjo13
Jun 12, 2005
  1. Help. I have tried every stinking virus removal program you can find and although most of them find the virus,Hacktool.Rootkit, non of them can get rid of it. I have heard that my only true safe option is to reinstall the OS (Windows 2000) and move on. I have files I dont want to risk losing. What now???? Help!

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Go HERE and follow the instructions in post #35

Regards Howard :grinthumb

3. donjo13

donjo13 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 71

I am running windows 2000 pro. It doesnt have system restore as far as I can tell, and if it does, where?

4. Spike

Spike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,168

To the best of my knowlede (and googles. lmao) win2k doesn't have system restore...

http://216.239.59.104/search?q=cach...ex.php/t32703.html+system+restore+win2k&hl=en

.. but I note that this page mentions the possibility of something like Norton making a backup of the file in case you are encountering such a problem.

Otherwise, I would probably suggest that you skip the system restore bits, and see where it get's you.

5. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

There's no SysRest in W2K.
    Ignore the XP-specific instructions and follow the rest.

6. donjo13

donjo13 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 71

Well, I've followed all the instructions yet the hacktool.rootkit is still detected by norton. This is stubborn!

7. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.