TechSpot

Can't delete Outlook mail

By GeoSv
Dec 10, 2008
  1. I set up a folder for Outlook Express mail and keep track of the subfolders. First I noticed when I send music files it stores the file in its Sent folder, so now that file is in two places in the computer. This adds up. When I save a received song, it still stays in Outlook - two places again. Of course you know that text messages are attached to all this. Can't delete the music without deleting text, don't want to.
    I try fancy stuff like forwarding the text to myself without the music. That becomes disorganized.
    Well when I do delete these letters with music, it creates that file again in Deleted folder. Now in 3 places. Then it fails to decrease the size of the original folder. It's been that way a few weeks now. Then I "empty" the delete folder, that takes a few days to clear, but does. The space is STILL being taken in the original folder. The mail is no longer listed but folder space is same.
    I don't want to send or receive files with Outlook again. But doing it at my mail provider site means I don't have a neat record in my computer.

2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,334   +622

Outlook Express or Outlook?

Outlook Express is email only while Outlook also adds the Contacts and Calendar features.

Outlook Express:
    tools->Options->SEND tab; Option to SAVE COPY in Sent folder
    Options->Maintenance Tab; Empty Trash on exit

Outlook
    Actions->Options->Other
    click Empty Trash
    review AutoArchive to prune old data from the PST file (ie: where it's all stored)

Personally, I prefer Thunderbird as an email program as each folder is its own file
    AND there a right-click option to COMPRESS the folder.

(imo: better tools give better results :) )

3. gguerra

gguerra TS Maniac Posts: 317

Outlook also has a compress option. You need to specify what version of outlook to know how. There is also a utility called scanpst which may also help

4. GeoSv

GeoSv TS Rookie Topic Starter

Mine says Outlook Express 6.
    I'm on W2000 and not upgrading.
    I have 2 hard drives. The second one does not get wiped out with a system wipeout.
    I was hoping the separate mail folder outside of Doc+Set might remain after a system change and still be recognized by Outlook, but not sure if it would.
    But these are not the main point here.
    By the way if W2000 is reinstalled Outlook is automatic. Thunderbird would be a second.

5. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 9,334   +622

The OUTLOOK PST file is located at
    \Documents & Settings\yourlogin\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

you can copy the PST anywhere else and then reverse the copy as a means to restore :)

Outlook Express
    is at
    C:\Documents and Settings\yourlogin\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{4049BA6C-A559-4750-9335-49BF0F9EC9FA}\Microsoft\Outlook Express
    but the Address Book is at
    C:\Documents and Settings\yourlogin\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

6. GeoSv

Also, Compression is not the same thing as keeping the folder size revised.

7. raybay

raybay TS Evangelist Posts: 7,241   +9

You can have these problems if a Windows Update moves you to Internet Explorer 7. Outlook changes to Windows Mail, then Windows Live Mail.

8. GeoSv

I'm IE6. .........

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.