Can't delete video

Doctor Gallop

I downloaded a video and watched it but now I can't get it to delete.
If I right click on it and hit "delete" it says it is sending it to "recycling" but it never ends.
I would appreciate any ideas as to how to get rid of it
can't delete it.jpg . Thank you.

Did you try "permanent delete"? (holding down left shift while right-clicking and selecting delete)
I just tried that but again no results. here are the images of the pop up window. It just keeps running.

Attachments

• copy 1.jpg
    copy 1.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 10
  • copy 2.jpg
    copy 2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 9
I think the issue is that you are in a "library" and the elements of a library are not "there" but actually stored elsewhere - so you just need to locate where the file is actually stored and do your deletion at this source location.

The link is about managing folders in a library https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8834-library-remove-included-folder-windows-10-a.html and may help "finding"
I followed the instructions but all it did was get rid of the "Public Videos" folder. The file is still in the "Videos Library" folder and still won't delete. I should mention This thing is like a ghost that won't go away! I am running Windows 7.

I don't believe it was 'in' that folder - merely connected by some esoteric route from some other location. You need to find the folder that it is actually 'in'...possibly using search on C: drive. The real location for the file is the question.

This may help: http://www.gcflearnfree.org/windows7/finding-your-files-with-search-and-libraries/full/

I wasn't intending to have you remove the 'Public Videos' folder - but to get an understanding of how these folders are structured and how they work. (I hate the lousy things - but my use of folders is influenced by many years using CP/M).

I don't believe it was 'in' that folder - merely connected by some esoteric route from some other location. You need to find the folder that it is actually 'in'...possibly using search on C: drive. The real location for the file is the question.

This may help: http://www.gcflearnfree.org/windows7/finding-your-files-with-search-and-libraries/full/

I wasn't intending to have you remove the 'Public Videos' folder - but to get an understanding of how these folders are structured and how they work. (I hate the lousy things - but my use of folders is influenced by many years using CP/M).
It's okay my friend. I will try to follow the instructions on this new link. Have to get to work now though. I do appreciate your advice in trying to solve my problem. Will check back with you later to keep you updated.

It's okay my friend. I will try to follow the instructions on this new link. Have to get to work now though. I do appreciate your advice in trying to solve my problem. Will check back with you later to keep you updated.

Well, nothing I've tried has resulted in deleting the file. I tried to move it out of the video folder to the desk top but it was the same result....it keeps running without ever finishing the task. image attached.move.jpg

What happens when you right click the file and choose open file location while in library view?

This gets interesting......When I right click on "file location"...[images attached]..it starts to "load" at the top of window but again, it never stops, and nothing happens. But what is really curious is that while that happens all images in the "Pictures" folder and Desk top on my computer change to look like the ones in attached image #3. And the only way to get things back to normal is to restart my computer. Strange eh?
image 1.jpg image 2.jpg image 3.jpg

I think you are losing focus here. A few years ago in Windows 7 software I used to convert a video file saved it in a hidden folder. It took me forever to figure out how to reach it. You could check that future downloads are to a more convenient place.

If you are using windows media player to play the file, you might try uninstalling windows media player and reinstalling it or running the windows media player fixit that you can download from Microsoft's website. If you run the fixit, it will delete all files both audio and video from windows media player and you will have to restore them. So it best to save the files you want to keep to a flash drive and then reload them.

It's only 12.2 Mb so maybe leave it before things go wrong. If you downloaded from a dodgy site it's worth running an AV scan.

Might be no harm to check the disk for errors. My computer > right click the C drive > properties > tools > check now under error checking > check the first box and click start.

From your first post it looks as if you never completed the download in the first place. Maybe Chrome is still trying to download it. I've no idea if it would work but I'd uninstall Chrome. Hopefully the partial download would then be cancelled so you could delete it. After that you could reinstall Chrome.

Check what process is locking this file. I recommend using http://lockhunter.com. If nothing is keeping it locked I recommend doing chkdsk.

If everything else fails, boot into linux live cd and forcefully remove that file.

Last edited:
How odd that it still has "unconfirmed" in the filename as if it isn't done downloading. All I can suggest is a google search using "unconfirmed" as one of your keywords and/or looking for a program designed to delete stubborn files. You could also try deleting it in safe mode if you run out of options.

Good luck.

First delete temporary windows files. the download firehorse unlocker utility. and use that to unlock it from the attached program

If you have another windows user perhaps try to sign in with that user and navigate your way to that file and delete it in case it is being used by a program for whatever reason. Someone already suggested safemode ^^

Back