Cant detect my soundcard because of rescent reboot of my operating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cant detect my videocard because of rescent reboot of my operating system

yo guys,
So heres the 411, I recently had to replace my operating system and I did not have the original copy. however, I was able to obtain a windows xp copy from my friend. i installed the new operating system on the same partition as the old one, because the computer was purchased from my football coach, who didn't make two partitions. so currently i have a non usable windows xp operating system that I can only access in safe mode and my new Windows xp os that I use normally now. the problem is that my video card is not detected, and I cant seem to find the model and make so that ican download the proper drivers. usually you can locate the exact model using bios and device manager, but for some reason it doesn't give me any info at all. i am fairly sure that the reinstallization of the operating system was what caused it and i think it is the simple lack of the drivers that keeps it from being detected, any ideas on how to figure out the model of video card I have.
BTW...is not an onboard video card.

"any ideas on how to figure out the model of video card I have?"...

Open the case and look for any name or numbers on the video card. The video card is where your monitor plugs into

I already did that, but there are several numbers and the one I am looking for is not there. Its a Nvidia card, and the number starts with an N. I figured it out when looking for the drivers. but I cant find any number starting with N

Ok...I got a theory here, but an not sure about its feasibility. What are the chances that my old OS is interfering or using my hardware currently. and the reason my new OS is not detecting the hardware is because it was in active use by the old OS when it expired. I am wondering if I totally reformat my hard drive and erase both Operating Systems and reinstall the new OS again, if it will start to recognize my hardware again. What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back