Can't do Windows Update

fan1bsb97

I can't do a Windows Update.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit on a Sony Vaio VPCEB11FM laptop.

The error I get is Code 80246008.

I've run Microsoft Fix It which cannot solve the problem. It says it must repair the problem but when it comes to resolving it it doesn't work. (It says not fixed next to repair windows update components).

I also downloaded the correct file from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....mc_id=MSCOM_EN_US_DLC_DETAILS_131Z4ENUS22007 and it says "You do not have permission to update Windows. Please contact your system administrator."

I ran Microsoft Security Essentials and nothing came up.

Please help, thanks!

Have you tried starting BITS & setting it to Automatic (via service.msc)? The error code usually corresponds to BITS failure (if it's missing altogether there are a number of downloadable fixes if you Google "BITS missing Windows 7" or similar).
Hope this helps. :)

To make any system changes to your machine you must be logged in as 'system administrator"
You do not have permission to update Windows. Please contact your system administrator."
I'm sharing this with you based on an earlier post you made with this as being a response when attempting to get your windows update to work. Verify you have administrator privileges which will allow you to make these system changes.
Go to Control Panel, to All Control Panel Items to User Accounts to Manage Accounts
from 'manage Accounts' you will be able to verify you are logged into your OS with Administrator privileges. In this same area at "manage accounts" you will be able to change to administrator if you are now logged in as a guest.

Did you attempt the suggestion that was made at this quote?
if it's missing altogether there are a number of downloadable fixes if you Google "BITS missing Windows 7" or similar
This MS fix page should take care of whatever auto update issues you have going on. I see that you attempted to download a type of 'fix' for the windows update. Could you please try this website. This is an auto fix site from Microsoft that should take care of all Windows update issues. http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/
Let me know how things turn out.
Good luck friend.

That's the site I tried it from. :/

I will try googling some downloadable fixes for BITS. I'm also going to try a system restore in a few mins.

Ok so I can have this cleared up; what happens when you go to your start orb and then to the search window and type in Windows update? What should happen is you should get a executable file that allows you to go directly to the windows update program. Can you give me as much specifics as possible as to what happens when you attempt to access the windows update program?

Back