Can't find any network,

By dumna
Oct 20, 2011
Post New Reply
  1. Hi
    I got an old laptop (Gateway with window XP Pro, and I cannot get it to connect to my home network, other laptop works fine. showing the following connections
    Local area connection
    network cable unplugged with a RED x
    Realtek RTL8139/810x

1394 Connection
    connected
    1394 net adapter

wireless network connection
    Not connected Red X
    intel(R) Pro/wireless 22008G
    Please help, Thanx
  2. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,285   +281

first, use the Device Mgr to disable the 1394 device:: that's a Firewire connection, not ethernet.

then WIRE a connection to your router and get that running.

we'll address WiFi once WIRED is working
  3. dumna

dumna Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 42

Hi there, again
    Thanxs, but i got it to work, signal excellent. I disabled the local area connection. and the wireless
    network adapter is connected. I do not what I did . I could not find a switch to turn on so I clicked on keybd button marked en and pressed F2 and I set IP address manually, but when I went back to check the IP address I found it changed to obtain ip address automatically. However my other laptop has a very good signal and the one that I just connected has an excellent signal, and both are the same distance from the host PC, ????

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.