Can't find hard drive during installation of Windows 7 Ultimate

Hi guys, i'm hoping someone can help.
I've recently bought a brand new Toshiba Satellite pro L650 running Windows 7
After a few weeks, things started to get really slow. Then I woke up one morning to discover it stuck on the first screen when I turn it on.
I thought I had a virus, so then decided to do a full re-format and re-install windows. After I formatted the correct partition, I went to install Windows 7 again
Only for it to say "windows could not detect a disc drive"
it asks me to install drivers for the hard-drive, which I can't seem to find.
it's a sata hard-drive (TOSHIBA MK6465GSX) I think is the model number.
I can not find the hard-drive drivers anywhere.

The other strange thing, is every now and then, it finds the hard-drive, but states that windows can not install onto that drive (even when I format it, try to add a partition and so forth)

I have been into bios, I don't really know a great deal of what I am looking at, but it sometimes states my hard-drive is there, and other times it does not.
I am so desperate to get this fixed. Does anyone have any ideas?
I live pretty remotely so taking it back and getting it fixed is not ideal.. but maybe necessary.
Thanks in anticipation..

- Gavin.

Hi gav
It sounds like a hard drive problem. Try this switch of the laptop and remove the battery then remove the hard drive, then replace hard drive battery and switch on your laptop.

This happened to me when I reinstalled my windows. Apparently, in my case, the problem was with external USB drives and a flash drive that somehow confuses Windows. I unplugged all my external drives and the installation immediately recognized the drive that I wanted to install my Windows on. So if you have external USB drives plugged in, unplugging them should solve your problem, if it's the same as mine.

Back