Can't find hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will_m

Hello all, I have just tried to resize my primary partition containing my OS, video and music files and some documents. I was using partition magic and was trying to shrink my C drive so that I could put a partition on it and install the windows 7 beta.

Unfortunately I received an error from PM when trying to complete this and when trying restart back into windows I was shown the BSOD with the following stop code: 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8b0594e0, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000). I really don't know what to do as there was some fairly important stuff on there that I really don't want to lose. I have my XP Pro install disc if that helps? Even if I have to reformat I don't mind I just don't want to lose my data.

I have read the guide in the sticky but most of the tips for fixing are for those who can still boot into windows. I just get the BSOD and then it won't go away :(

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Regards,

Will

*Update* I have tried using the recovery console on my windows disc, but when I go into repair it says it can't find my hard drive....I was going to run chkdsk on it but as it won't even show up I'm at a loss at to what to do.

This is from auma.org concerning your error along with their suggestions:

0x00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

A problem occurred within NTFS.SYS, the driver file that allows the system to read and write to NTFS file system drives. There may be a physical problem with the disk, or an Interrupt Request Packet (IRP) may be corrupted. Other common causes include heavy hard drive fragmentation, heavy file I/O, problems with some types of drive-mirroring software, or some antivirus software. I suggest running ChkDsk or ScanDisk as a first step; then disable all file system filters such as virus scanners, firewall software, or backup utilities. Check the file properties of NTFS.SYS to ensure it matches the current OS or SP version. Update all disk, tape backup, CD-ROM, or removable device drivers to the most current versions.

I can't help you per se because I've never used a partition software before, but I can suggest that you could take out your HD and slave it in another system. Sometimes you can access HD this way and running ChkDsk along with a full harddrive diagnostics.

If you can't get it to work my next suggestion is that you go to the forums here that deal with harddrives and tell them what your error is, what your issues are, and the things that you have attempted.

I suggest you use Partition magic again and see if it recognizes the issue? At least let it check it!

I hope this was Partion Magic booted from a CD floppy or other media and not from windows itself!

Mike

I suggest you use Partition magic again and see if it recognizes the issue? At least let it check it!

I hope this was Partion Magic booted from a CD floppy or other media and not from windows itself!

Mike

Hi guys thanks for the replies, I have ordered an HD caddy so that I can use the drive on my laptop through USB and I'll see if I can read from it etc.

Mflynn, I used partition magic from within windows...it then told me it needed to reboot the system to apply the changes (resize C drive). Was this the wrong thing to do?

I had already read the information from aumha but it doesn't help me much as I can't get into windows or even the recovery console to try out the suggestions.

I shall wait for the caddy but if anyone has any further help I would love to hear from you.

Regards
Will

p.s How come my topic was re-named? I thought the original description was more fitting for the BSOD forum.

O.K, received my HD caddy today and I've just hooked my HD up to my laptop, it seems it can't be read from windows in explorer (says it corrupted) but I've just got Active file recovery to scan the drive and try to recover my data. Now that the drive can be seen by windows is there any way to repair my OS?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

If the drive can now be seen by Windows do you see your files and folders especially the Windows, Documents and Settings and Program Files folders.

If so..

Then Start-Run
type
chkdsk d: /r (change d: to correct letter for this drive)
Hit Enter
or click OK

When finished!

If you can see the files then try to boot from the drive!

Mike

Trying to recover OS from corrupted HD

Sorry I meant to say the drive can be seen within windows not by windows, it can seen by active file recovery and it does show up in explorer but it won't let me open it. I have tried to run chkdsk but the box flashes up for about a second and then disappears. It does this for all my drives though including my C drive. Am I doing something wrong?

I have also been trying this new method found here http://www.retosphere.de/tipsandtricks/ntfserror.php?menu_id=24& (I am trying the alternate method at the bottom of the page). I have completed steps 1-4 o.k using magic iso instead of cdmage. The problem I have is that when I burn the image I have created on magic iso it doesn't boot at all from cd. Is there something I have to do to it to make it bootable? I mean it was bootable before when it was the original os disk so why won't it boot now?

Hi Will

For now disconnect all external devices even printers that have RAM, and Flash drives. Disconect any mapped network drive to another computer. Then reboot.

Are you saying the drive shows up but can not be accessed?

And have you checked diskmgmt.msc

In Disk management if there are CD drives between the physical drives then give the CD drives a letter well beyond the Physical drive.

Then..

Download RSIT
http://images.malwareremoval.com/random/RSIT.exe

Run it, when finished it will open a log Maximized on the screen, attach the contents of this log back here then close that log.

Then the 2nd log is Minimized so Max it and attach it also to a separate post.
The logs will contain a HighJackThis log also.

Now humor me here but Do the TechSpot 8 steps: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Some of these logs can show other problems even if you do not have Malware.

Mike

Many thanks, just to confirm: yes the drive shows up in windows but no it cannot be accessed in any way, says it's corrupted and unreadable. I have attached a screenshot of disk management as I'm not sure about the drive letters, my dvd drive is E and the corrupted drive is H should I change the DVD drive to something higher?

Also did you see the edit I made to my last post, I have a feeling you were replying as I posted it.

Much appreciated.

Hold off on that for a while.

Yes I usually set my cd/dvd drives out to H: and above.

Do my post and get me the logs. If it does this for all drives then there is something else wrong here.

Mike

I noticed the other Double Post are you dropping this thread or are you running the 8 Steps?

Mike

I noticed the other Double Post are you dropping this thread or are you running the 8 Steps?

Mike

The other post was one I tried to have put in the HD section but it was moved so I guess I'm trying to do both ;)

I can try the 8 steps but I did them last month and returned nothing strange, shall I still run them?

Hope this is o.k. I didn't do Hijack this again as it you said it was included in my last one.

Regards.

The only reason I am pursuing this path is the fact you say you can't access properties on your other drives so before we continue answer this.

Can you access system restore

Can you access Windows update

Can you turn the Windows Firewall on/off

Mike

The only reason I am pursuing this path is the fact you say you can't access properties on your other drives so before we continue answer this.

Can you access system restore

Can you access Windows update

Can you turn the Windows Firewall on/off

Mike

I can defintely use system restore and windows update, I shall try the firewall when I get home in a few hours. When you say you can't access other properties, what specifically do you mean? I can do everything I normally would do except run chkdsk, is this what you mean?

Regards,

Will

Regards

Just checked and I can turn windows firewall on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back