Can't Find my Wireless Internet on One of my Laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wireless internet worked fine, never really had any problems except the odd few were I could find it, connect, but the internet didn’t work, after a while it seemed to resolve its-self. I purchased a new base the other day; I put the disc in to install the wireless router via an Ethernet cable internet worked fine. Then I tried to connect on my Windows XP home edition laptop, which I only really use for downloading films and music, I couldn’t find my wireless connection, I could find the rest of the streets just not mine. I restarted the laptop and while I was waiting tried my windows vista laptop, after refreshing the search 3 or 4 times I found it, the internet works fine. Next I tried my Xbox wireless adapter, found both the wireless A+G connections, connected first time worked fine. Went back to my home edition laptop, still nothing and has been this way for a good few days. The problem being I can find wireless internet, just not mine even if the laptop is next to the router. My knowledge of how these things work are basic, but I always seem to find the problem just this one has me stumped. So I am hopping you intelligent people can help me out. The laptop is an Acer Travel-mate 4060, and connects using an Intel (R) PRO/Wireless 2200BG Network connection, the driver version is 9.0.1.9, if that’s any help. The IP Address and DNS Address are both set to automatic. My Router is a Linksys Wireless A+G Router that Xbox recommended to me. The model number is WRT55AG. I have a Webstar Scientific-Atlanta Modem, I don’t know much about firmwire or what ever it is called to tell you what version I have. I connect using Internet Explorer if that’s any help. That’s everything I can think of except, I am eating a penguin and still not dressed, and I have a 50th to get to in 30 minutes. Other than that if you need any more information then just ask, I will reply as quickly as I can. Also you can give me a clue on where to find the information you need then please include it as my knowledge is not great.

Thanks for the Help.

Hi

are you familiar with the term, "hide SSID"

if other devices have been setup to connect to it then they will see it as they have the rights to access it...

New installs wont see a router with the SSID of the router set to be hidden as this is a security measure

Go into the routers setup and see if its set to show the SSID...

Just a thought

Well I reset my router and set it up again and it all worked fine. Thanks for the help anyway Ididmyc600 I appreciate it. While I am on the subject, my sister was deleting things off her computer and deleted something with wireless in the title, now her wireless doesn’t work. I think it was in her programs list and now her LED for wireless network doesn’t blink or come on at all. The view available wireless connections tab has also disappeared. I know it’s a long shot anyone will know what I am talking about because I haven’t got much info, but if you need more ill find out.

unable to connect to the internet on Sony laptop via wireless connection. Received two messages, LAN adapter could be unplugged or turn on wireless connections although the switch is on. Can anyone assist me, running Vista OS?

Thats what was wrong with mine, I downloaded a driver file off the website, but that didnt fix it. When I turned my computer on and pressed F2 to enter some set-up screen, my wireless was listed as disabled, I enabled it saved and quit and it worked. Just have a try it might work.

... Then I tried to connect on my Windows XP home edition laptop, which I only really use for downloading films and music, I couldn’t find my wireless connection, I could find the rest of the streets just not mine. ...[/B]

knowlesey1988,

Big alarm bells here! I sure hope you're not using a peer-to-peer filesharing program top do this! Example are Limewire, Kazaa, Bearshare, ... You get massive spyware from them. My first reaction when I read your description was this is spyware. But you reported later you setup your router from scratch and it works now. Let's assume it was a router configuration problem for now. But if you are using p2p, you have spyware which can cause these types of problems (and a lot more!)

-- Andy

unable to connect to the internet on Sony laptop via wireless connection. Received two messages, LAN adapter could be unplugged or turn on wireless connections although the switch is on. Can anyone assist me, running Vista OS?

First, let's be sure that wireless switch on the front edge of your laptop is actually switched to the "on" or "enabled" position!

Next, can you connect via ethernet cable using your LAN network card? If you can, then this helps isolate the problem with your laptop.

Repost with results and we'll take it from there.

-- Andy

knowlesey1988,

Big alarm bells here! I sure hope you're not using a peer-to-peer filesharing program top do this! Example are Limewire, Kazaa, Bearshare, ... You get massive spyware from them. My first reaction when I read your description was this is spyware. But you reported later you setup your router from scratch and it works now. Let's assume it was a router configuration problem for now. But if you are using p2p, you have spyware which can cause these types of problems (and a lot more!)

-- Andy

no worries it's all legit, thats why it was such a problem to lose internet, couldnt stream them to my xbox to watch on the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back