Can't find Windows or C: in DOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother's computer won't start Windows 98. It starts in DOS with an a prompt. I tried to switch to the c drive (c: ), but it was an 'invalid drive specification.' The restore disk doesn't work, because it can't seem to find the c drive. I would rather not format the hard drive, but I have no clue what to do when I can't even get to the c drive! I've used techspot a lot to look up computer problems before, but I haven't been able to find how to deal with this, and any help would be great!

Im having the exact same problem, when i load one boot disk i have it shows the CD drive as R: instead of D: The hard drive is not shown in this listing and i also find that C: is not the hard drive and nor is any other drive letter, this is on an Acer TravelMate 210T.
any solutions? ideas?

the laptop used to be used on a wireless network and i cannot acess the bios because of a setup password put on by the admin of the school it was used in although im gonna get this off them in a few days.

by the way i can log into the windows 2k, it has an operating system, but its not working properly

and fdisk shows 1 active partition

fix /mbr? - HDD Restore / Copy?

it could be main boot record i had that sort of problem.
i thinks its "fix /mbr" find out with google i found a site on there
if not a rawhdd read and copy to a new hdd prog will have to do it 4 u?

this is a raw hdd file restore prog hang the hdd on another pc and copy the main files off it i might wan you some data might not work ifthe sectors have been messed up and certian file could be blank data!

get it at my freeweb web space:

www.freewebs.com/j4m32/PCIFR3.exe
3mb pain on modem

hope it helps

j4m32,

i fixed the problem

hello i already fixed the problem but thanks anyway, the hard drive was on the letter x: after wards i just deleted the partition, and repartitioned/formatted it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back