TechSpot

Can't find Windows or C: in DOS

By nat
Dec 23, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My brother's computer won't start Windows 98. It starts in DOS with an a prompt. I tried to switch to the c drive (c: ), but it was an 'invalid drive specification.' The restore disk doesn't work, because it can't seem to find the c drive. I would rather not format the hard drive, but I have no clue what to do when I can't even get to the c drive! I've used techspot a lot to look up computer problems before, but I haven't been able to find how to deal with this, and any help would be great!
  2. HoopaJoop

HoopaJoop TS Rookie Posts: 202

Is the drive detected in the BIOS?
  3. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,916   +9

What does fdisk show? Does it see any partitions?
  4. wrathofkhan

wrathofkhan TS Rookie

Im having the exact same problem, when i load one boot disk i have it shows the CD drive as R: instead of D: The hard drive is not shown in this listing and i also find that C: is not the hard drive and nor is any other drive letter, this is on an Acer TravelMate 210T.
    any solutions? ideas?

the laptop used to be used on a wireless network and i cannot acess the bios because of a setup password put on by the admin of the school it was used in although im gonna get this off them in a few days.

by the way i can log into the windows 2k, it has an operating system, but its not working properly

and fdisk shows 1 active partition
  5. j4m32

j4m32 TS Rookie Posts: 49

fix /mbr? - HDD Restore / Copy?

it could be main boot record i had that sort of problem.
    i thinks its "fix /mbr" find out with google i found a site on there
    if not a rawhdd read and copy to a new hdd prog will have to do it 4 u?

this is a raw hdd file restore prog hang the hdd on another pc and copy the main files off it i might wan you some data might not work ifthe sectors have been messed up and certian file could be blank data!

get it at my freeweb web space:

www.freewebs.com/j4m32/PCIFR3.exe
    3mb pain on modem

hope it helps

j4m32,
  6. wrathofkhan

wrathofkhan TS Rookie

i fixed the problem

hello i already fixed the problem but thanks anyway, the hard drive was on the letter x: after wards i just deleted the partition, and repartitioned/formatted it.
  7. j4m32

j4m32 TS Rookie Posts: 49

kool

kool :cool:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.