Can't flash BIOS Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row1

Hey, I hope someone can help me with this problem. I got new RAM in my computer no problems. Then, I got inspired to run Nvidia NTune to optimize my system. It started running, then the system hung up. No way to unhang.

So, I read more about NTune - I discover it says you should have fairly recent BIOS. I don't - my current BIOS is probably almost 3 yrs old.

So, I plan to flash my BIOS: in DOS (from startup boot disk), with AWDFLASH.exe, and what I believe is a recent A8N-SLI BIOS, 1805.BIN, and I rename it like the instructions say, to what I believe should be the correct name: "A8NSLI-B.BIN."

AWDFLASH.exe proceeds to back up old BIOS, and then goes to look for the BIOS, as named: I get some message about the BIOS being wrong.

What am I doing wrong? Is the name of the BIOS file not supposed to be in CAPS? Is ".BIN" not supposed to be in caps?

I have searched around on the interwebs for some ideas (Techspot, Anandtech, Tomshardware, etc.) , and basically find: 1. BIOS flash for A8N-SLI Deluxe either goes smoothly, or people have lots of problems; 2. various conflicting instructions; 3. Asus does not seem to be supporting this decent MB anymore.

Help - any ideas? My comp is in the profile, AMD 3800 x2, Win XP, except that I have gone to 2GB (1 gb x 2 pc3200 OCZ ram (install was perfect), up from 512 x 2 of Kingston ValueRAM. THX!!

A8N-SLI Deluxe BIOS 1805
http://dlsvr.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket939/A8N-SLI Deluxe/A8ND1805.zip

http://support.asus.com/technicaldocuments/technicaldocuments.aspx?no=532&SLanguage=en-us.

Awdflash2.jpg

(Note substitute your bios filename 1805.bin)

Please note, BIOS update is only recommended when experiencing technical difficulties with your system, And is not recommended to be performed regularly.

Moreover, due to the nature of BIOS update, there is certain level of dangers involved. BIOS update must be performed with extreme caution . During BIOS update process, your system must be maintained without interference or power loss to prevent unexpected damage.

In case of BIOS update failure, please follow instructions in your User's Manual for guidelines on BIOS recovery via CrashFree BIOS. In the event that BIOS recovery is not recoverable via CrashFree BIOS, please contact your place of purchase for further assistance on BIOS recovery.

the same instructions i have been following.

thanks. these are the instructions i have been looking at.

i believe in one of my attempts, i think at first, i did have the .bin file named "1805.bin" -i will try this again.

i have been renaming the old bios oldbios.old, not oldbios.bin: from what i remember from the DOS days, this should not be the problem - should it?

i will try with bios renamed 1805.bin although i believe i gave this permutation a try.

if anyone else has any other suggestions, please post!

Sometimes renaming it (over and over) can cause the file checksums to change
I'd suggest downloading it again (link provided in my post)

The oldbios, can be anyname.bin

tonite or tomorrow-

i am gonna retry tonite or tomorrow- tomorrow, i can bring my home computer into work, so i can look around on the net for different ideas. right now at home i don't have internet, so i can only try so many ideas.

i think i am just gonna start building a new comp every 3 years, and avoid the upgrade hassles altogether. just sell or give away the old comp. i learn a lot when i monkey around with these boxes, but sometimes i don't have the time it takes to learn thru this trial-and-error stuff.

my current BIOS is probably almost 3 yrs old

Hey make sure you get a really good PCI-Express Graphics card too
Or at least make sure a PCI-Express slot is on any new system (usually always now)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back