TechSpot

Can't get explorer to recognize external hard drive

By chu816
Dec 4, 2010
Post New Reply
  1. Ugh, ive been looking all over the internet for a solution to this. Anyway, im borrowing my friend's external hard drive to transfer some stuff from my laptop to my desktop when my laptop for whatever reason crashed. Now when i started my laptop back up, explorer doesn't recognize the external hard drive. However, disk management seems to be able to recognize the external hard drive as a separate disk. Does anybody know how i can get my explorer to recognize the external hard drive?

2. LookinAround

LookinAround TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 8,395   +169

Since it's recognized by Disk Management, I'll guess one of two things

1. See if this might help How to Cleanup and Remove old USB Storage Drivers

2. Otherwise, it could be filesystem corruption on the disk. Have you tried connecting it to a different computer to see if it works? If it still fails on other computers as well could be windows sees the disk when connected but doesn't recognize a valid filesystem any longer so doesn't mount the logical volume. Try TestDisk for partition/data recovery

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.