Can't get gigabit speed :(

5aq1b

I'm asking this because me and a friend of mine both bought HP ProLiant Microservers at the same time. We both have the same setup which is PC and Server both connected to a Gigabit switch.

He can receive speeds of over 90MB/s when transferring from PC to Server using default windows file copying. I can get no higher than 35MB/second using Windows file copy or by using TeraCopy.

I have tried copying from different sources ie. Different hard drives in my PC (I have a Seagate 320GB 7200rpm) and from a laptop which has a gigabit port too but still no faster speeds.

We both have the same hard drives within our servers.

I thought it could have been a driver issue on the server however we checked side by side the driver and the advanced configuration of the NIC however still no joy!

I have attached HIS screenshots of the speeds he receives. We also did a netperf test. his throughput is 377.33 while mines is 170 - 177. Also tried changing speed & duplex settings to 1000mb full, auto, 100mb full etc etc. NO JOY.

According to netperf if the throughput is not what you expect for your type of connection then it's a NIC issue or driver issue or NIC settings issue. But i've tried now from 2 different sources yet still no joy and i've also tried different cables and also direct connection via crossover.

PULLING MY HAIR OUT OVER THIS!

Screenshot of my Friends performance...

test1fw.jpg

test2lo.jpg

It could just be that your non server side hard drives are not fast enough. 90 megs a second is pretty fast for modern mechanical hard drives. Your laptop drive is probably pretty slow because they are designed for low power consumption rather than speed, and that 320GB drive is old - I would be surprised to find that it could sustain a read faster than 60 megs a sec.

It could just be that your non server side hard drives are not fast enough. 90 megs a second is pretty fast for modern mechanical hard drives. Your laptop drive is probably pretty slow because they are designed for low power consumption rather than speed, and that 320GB drive is old - I would be surprised to find that it could sustain a read faster than 60 megs a sec.

hi thanks for the reply. I tried a transfer between 2 of my newest drives on my non server side PC. A 1 gig file had a transfer rate of between 55-60MB/Sec going from drive A to Drive B and vice versa.

Still a lot faster than my 35MB/sec from PC to Server. Frustration!!!! lol

Are you both using the same network controllers (PC side)? That said what controller are you using?

Back