Can't get into Windows to do anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am unable to get into my Windows OS. The computer sits at the user login screen with only the Windows XP logo showing. No user profiles are available. I have tried rebooting into safe mode and last known good configuration. I have alos tried booting from my restore CD and a Windows XP Professional Upgrade CD. All options end in the same, unable to get into windows. This means I can't get to a command prompt to run chkdsk or other utilities. It means I can't check for corrupt files. It means I can't do ANYTHING!!!

Please help.

You can run Check Disk from the bootable Windows CD, and then going to the Recovery console

The Syntax of the command line is:
chkdsk [volume[[path] filename]][/f][/v][/r][/x][/i][/c][/l[:size]]

i.e.

chkdsk c: /f

I can't get into any command prompt to run chkdsk. When I boot from the restore CD I get the same thing. I can't get the computer into safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, last known good configuration, or anywhere from the restore/boot CD.

Any other ideas?

I'm talking about the Windows CD (Booting)
Not safe mode (which doesn't exist on the CD Boot

If the Windows CD doesn't even start, I'd say definate faulty Hard Drive (Hardware wise)

I was able to get the computer to boot from CD. CHKDSK found no errors. How do I run recovery console. Every app I try running says can't run in DOS mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back