Can't get Netflix to load properly

Status
Not open for further replies.

seeker22

I have been a Netflix customer for years, but starting this week, the Netflix page on IE hangs up trying to load correctly and then goes to a frozen red screen with no images. I have to use Task Manager to close the window at that point. Using Firefox, it works a little better, but still most of the images are missing and I can't read all the buttons. I called Netflix customer support but they say it is not their problem. I have already tried clearing the cookies and temporary internet files, but to no avail. Only the Netflix site is affected. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

close the browser and get a command prompt. run ipconfig /flushdns
reboot

I tried what jobeard suggested, but it did not affect the problem. I have completed all the steps from the preliminary removal instructions kimsland linked to, and I have now started a thread in the Security and Web forum. I hope the logs I posted there will lead to the solution.

Thanks again for the help.

I am posting here again because the logs showed no virus or other problem. I tried installing the Opera browser, and it runs into the same problems as IE and Foxfire. All other sites work fine, but Netflix hangs up while loading images. With IE the hangup leads to a freeze and a blank red screen. With the other two browsers the site is marginally functional, but many of the images never load. Since I can't use the Netflix "watch instantly" feature on anything but IE, even the minimal funtionality on the other browsers is not really suitable.

There has to be something about the Netflix site alone that is not working with my system. Any other ideas? Thanks.

I think Security and the web may be still more appropriate.

In this thread you will recieve reponses to Repair windows or

run sfc snannow
To do this simply go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:
sfc /scannow
This will check your entire windows system for any errors

You may need your Windows CD and Windows product key (on side of you box?)

I think the sfc /scannow may be a good option though.

"Watch Instantly" is a plug-in issue. If the static page displays (with images),
then delete your plugins and reinstall.

On 5/6/08, I suddenly ran into the same problem. On Firefox, the pictures did not load. On IE same thing but it also hangs up the application. Same thing happened on another computer in my house.

All HTTP requests to www . netflix . com completed fine.
HTTP requests to the image servers (e.g. cdn-0 . nflximg . com), timed out.
A ping to cdn-0 . nflximg . com completed only once in every 10+ times or so.

I called netflix and they fielded similar issues, but only from a few clients.
I suspect this is an IP routing problem or a server availability problem and most likely a combination of both.
I have submitted an HTTP trace to netflix, which is forwarding it to their content delivery service provider Limelight Networks for investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back