Can't get past Window 7 start screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what happened. My mother board died, so replaced with one today. Got everything back up and running except my wireless. Tried a couple different drivers still nothing, so I thought maybe it was something in the bios. I did the load setup defaults in the bios, since there were only very basic settings in the bios (nothing for devices at all in it except boot order). Restarted and now after going to the windows 7 starting screen I get a flash of a blue screen and it reboots. The blue screen is flashing so quick I can't get the error code, the best I can tell it may be 0x0000007B so I went back into the bios and it's set for sata enabled. Ran several repairs and tried system restore. I also ran the hdd and memory test in the bios both came up fine. Can't get into system to try anything else. I absolutly cannot reformat this hard drive. I have tax programs and codes in my emails I need before I can do that, with client information on it. The last time I saved this info was before tax season so if I wipe it out all client info for this year is gone. Any ideas what I can do? I tried getting in safe mode as well, still went to that blue screen and restarted again. Thanks for any help in advance.

Buy a new hard drive and install Windows on that drive. Put your old hard drive in an external USB enclosure or use a simpler USB docking station and copy your important data to the new hard drive.

Unless your new motherboard is the same model as the old motherboard, you shouldn't expect your old hard drive to be plug and play. You should expect to perform at least a Windows repair install or more likely a full clean install.

Motherboard is exactly the same. The wireless is tempermental had issues getting installed trying to intall xp then back to vista. But I put windows 7 in this it installed without a hitch, now it's not installing since putting in the new motherboard. Fixed the start problem disabled the sata in bios and it started. Now to get the wireless going. Thanks anyway.

What kind of wireless adapter are you using? Is it built-in or an add-on card? Where are you getting the driver?

It a Atheros AR5BXB63H part number 459339-001. It's one of those little mini pci cards that go right on the motherboard of the laptop. I'm looking for the driver everywhere can't find one for windows 7. I double checked the little pins that connected and made sure it was seated properly. It's showing up as other device in system. When I installed windows 7 it must have picked up the drivers from vista because I didn't have to install any drivers.

Got system to boot, so I'm able to save everything now. Problem however was that I have an external usb hookup for recovering files, however I needed to run it as a c: drive inorder to save my files (backup the program) in my email (incredimail) and my tax programs. It would not run as a c: without drivers for the computer I had it connected to installed on the drive. Wouldn't even boot to the drive as a usb. So I'm going to save it all and maybe do a clean install. Would rather not have to if I can get this wifi installed. Still having issues with it. Can't get any of these drivers to work. Just took the laptop apart again to check for the 3rd time that all cables are installed. Still not installing.

hmm; Normally Windows takes the C:\ drive and the external HD is something else.

When capturing critical data, IMO, I would never use a backup program
(and that avoids the external USB needing C:\) but instead, just use copy, xcopy or even drag-n-drop for the selected files and folders.

This is called a replication (as apposed to a backup) and the data becomes 'portable' to
any other system - - sometimes even Mac OSX or Linux.

Later, when you've replaced the system or performed a clean install over the existing system,
these files can be copied in the reverse direction and away you go :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back