Can't get Skype to load on startup

Doug8765

Hi -
I must be doing something wrong. I'm trying to get skype to load on startup. It used to, but after the most recent update it stopped loading on startup.
  • I've used Task Manager and gone to the startup tab, but Skpe is not in the list of applications, even when it is running.
  • I've found the startup directory and there's no shortcut there for skpe. If I knew where the skype executable was then I could create a shortcut in the startup directory. That would probably work, although I'm not sure. It used to work in Windows 7. The problem for me is that I cannot find the skype executable. I've searched for tips on finding the .exe, but they all seem so confident that their method works to find the .exe, but their methods do not work for me.
  • I have an administrator account.

Any help? Thank you for your suggestions.

Doug8765

Hi Duog! What OS are you running. I find Skype in programs. Let us know how things go. I'm running W10!
Capture25.JPG

Hi Duog! What OS are you running. I find Skype in programs. Let us know how things go. I'm running W10!
View attachment 84270

Hi Holdum323 -
I'm sorry, I should have indicated that I run Windows 10.

I can find the skype directory in program files(x86), no problem, but there's no .exe file there - at least visibly. That's with the hidden files checkbox checked.

Doug

Right click it and click on pin to start. Sorry if I'm not understanding what you're trying to do.;) It use to be on my startup, but I removed it in the task manager. (Start Up)

Right click it and click on pin to start. Sorry if I'm not understanding what you're trying to do.;) It use to be on my startup, but I removed it in the task manager. (Start Up)

Skype is already pinned to Start. That's not what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to get Skype to start up when the computer starts up.

Doug8765

Hi Doug! Have you tried this?
  • Bring the Run command dialog box into your computer screen by pressing Windows and R
  • Type shell:startup on the command field and click Ok.
  • The Startup folder for the logged in user account will come on the screen.
  • Now click on the start button and scroll down the app list until you see Skype.
  • Drag Skype to the Startup folder

Hi Doug! Sorry friend. I'm doing a lot of Googling just like you have. Skype use to be in my startup running W7,but I don't remember if it ever was after I upgraded to W10

Hi Doug! Have you tried this?
  • Bring the Run command dialog box into your computer screen by pressing Windows and R
  • Type shell:startup on the command field and click Ok.
  • The Startup folder for the logged in user account will come on the screen.
  • Now click on the start button and scroll down the app list until you see Skype.
  • Drag Skype to the Startup folder
Hi holdum323 -
That worked, with a twist. Thanks.

Windows wouldn't let me drag the shortcut into the startup folder. It insisted that, if I wanted to drag it somewhere that the only place I could put it was on the desktop. So I put it on the desktop. Then I was able to copy and paste it into the startup folder.

Reboot and voila! I have Skype booting on startup.

Thank you. Much appreciated.

Doug8765

Hi Glad you got it solved. Wondering about Post #8 That might have been easier. Any way you "Got-er-Done.
Thanks for your reply(y)

Hi Glad you got it solved. Wondering about Post #8 That might have been easier. Any way you "Got-er-Done.
Thanks for your reply(y)

Hi Holdum323 -
I tried to use the post on reply #8, but that screen does not show up on my version of skype. Several years ago that was a solution on which I relied. I don't know how skype decides which version to show me. I upgrade when they tell me to and sometimes I get the light blue version (the older version) and other times I get this nearly black version (I suppose it's dark blue, maybe). The nearly black version does whatever it wants and I'm just glad I can get it to make and receive phone calls.

Thanks again.
Doug8765

Hi Your very welcome. I use to use Skype a lot, but seldom use it any more. While helping you, mine updated, but I couldn't find the version I have.

Btw: Google "Hangouts" is a browser add-on & free alternative

Hi holdum323 -
I have learned that the newer versions of Skype for Windows 10 (versions above 12.xxx) do not do "load on startup", so I have reverted to the classic Skype (version 7.4). The classic version has a box to click for "load on startup".

Doug8765

Hi @Doug8765 Thanks for your information. Very helpful for Skype users.(y);) How did you find what version you are using? That might be helpful for TS members>

Back