TechSpot

Can't Get Sound Device To Work

By mwebster21
Feb 28, 2007
  1. I have a HP Pavilion ZX5000 Laptop with Windows XP. I bought it used without a Sound Device and no restore disk for it. The former owner couldn't get it to work either. I downloaded the one HP has on their website for it but it just makes the computer freeze the moment it tries to make a sound. I don't know if there is a driver I need to get it to work or if that's just the wrong sound device or what. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

2. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

I'm confused a bit. You bought it without a sound device. So you installed one? Which one?

3. mwebster21

mwebster21 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I installed the one HP had listed on their site for this model. It is the SoundMax Digital Audio device. this one...

ADI 1981B Audio Driver for Windows 2000/XP version 1.00A

I download it and try to install it but it freezes right away so I have to restart the computer with the last known good configuration.

4. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,517   +336

google for Sound Blaster Live, there's a huge library (~35mb) for download
    which allows you to install Drivers Only. It seems to do a good job at installing
    the correct driver :)

5. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,506   +238

You confused me when you used the terms device and driver interchangeably. They are not the same. I checked the HP site and you appear to have downloaded the correct driver for your model. I think jobeard may be mistaken about the Sound Blaster Live site because you have an integrated audio made by Soundmax, a different outfit.

Maybe you can check the Soundmax site to see if there is a more recent driver that is appropriate for your notebook. I can't say for sure if they have one though. You could try to download another copy from the HP site. Maybe the first one was corrupted somehow.

Check the BIOS to make sure the onboard sound is enabled. I'm not sure if your BIOS even has that option but it can't hurt to check.

6. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,517   +336

oops, didn't check the system specs for an integrated chip :blush:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.