TechSpot

Can't get SP/DIF from Motorola DCT 2500 into my computer

By jetcollins
May 5, 2004
  1. I have the Motorola DCT 2500 digital cable TV box, with two SP/DIF outputs. One TOSlink and one RCA-COAX. The TOSlink goes to the stereo receiver and works fine. I want to use the COAX one to go to my computer.

My computer has a Soundblaster Live 5.1 card, with an addon board by Hoontech to allow it to receive digital connections. The Hoontech board screws into a separate slot on the back of the pc case, but does not occupy the pci slot on the motherboard. It connects to the soundblaster card with a cable. It has inputs and outputs for both TOSlink and RCA-COAX. When I try to receive sound via the RCA-COAX cable from my digital cable terminal, my computer just hears a very loud fluttering sound, like a dragonfly from hell.

The Soundblaster-Hoontech rig is able to output digital sound to my stereo receiver; I tested that. It just cannot receive digital sound from the digital cable terminal.

(I am using composite video to my computer, and s-vhs to the TV. Both work fine simultaneously)

I am testing using two applications, ShowShifter, which is basically tv-tuner software, and Mediostream NeoDVD, which can capture audio and video on the fly and encode and author into MPEG2/DVD. While both get the video just fine, they both just hear the loud flutter, and do not receive the proper sound signal. Both allow me to select SP/DIF as the sound input. Selecting anything else gets no sound at all.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks so much in advance,

Peter

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.