Cant get to a DOS prompt! I need to replace bad ntoskrnl.exe with backup

By moc
Jan 15, 2005
  1. Hello all, I was just wondering if anyone could help me get to a c:\ prompt so i can get rid of this blue screen of death error. I have windows XP pro and recently modified my ntoskrnl.exe file to change the boot graphics like I have done before but now I get a bsod error - c000021a, which I'm sure has been caused by the new ntoskrnl file. I dont currently have access to a floppy drive (its a laptop and I left my usb floppy back at school) and system restore was not enabled. If someone could help me get that c:\ prompt up (possibly by creating a boot disk on a cd or something to that effect) I would greatly appreaciate it. Also, it does not boot in any sort of safe mode--after the new graphics appear on the boot screen I get the bsod error. Thank you very much in advance.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Click start run and type cmd

This will open up the command window.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Go to and d/l bootable floppy- or CD-files as needed, incl. instructions on how to make bootable floppy/CD
  4. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

You might need to get a NTFS boot disk, so you can see the C: drive if you have formatted it in NTFS, if it is FAT32, then you will be ok with what realblackstuff said.

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.