Cant get VNC to work... I need help??

Status
Not open for further replies.

techuser

Thanks Lalaji...I installed VNC Server at work PC and Viewer at home notebook. But I cant connect ...it gives an error of "Failed to connect to Server"
I am using IP add of my work PC 192.168.x.x.
Can somebody advise me what step am I missing.
PLease help?????????/:mad:

IP adresses that start with 192.168 are generally internal adresses. They aren't meant to be used from outside the network.

I could be wrong though but you haven't given us much info on where you are trying to connect from.

Thanks Well...I am afraid I dont know how to open ports on the router.

And I have Windows 2000 PC at work & installed Server side on that. And at home I have Win XP and installed Viewer on it.
Before leaving work yesterday I started WinVNC Server service.
And noted the IP Add of my computer.
At home After installation I opened Viewer and entered the IP of my work machine....I am sure I m missing steps/or not enetring the info that I am supposed to.
Help needed!!!
Thanks

Very often servers at work will have those ports closed to make sure no one from the outside tries to exploit them.

Talk to your system admin & see if one can be opened specifically for you ( if you're trying to do legit work from home ).

& BTW VNC server will show the only IP it can see which is the one from your work machine. That is not the IP you should use to connect from the outside. You need the IP of the server.

The IP of your work PC is valid only inside the company network and you can't access it from outside.

You have to ask your network administrator to forward a port from your company firewall to your work PC's VNC port. So from your home you would tell VNC to the office firewall and the firewall box would forward the connection to your work PC.

There are other options to go through the firewall also. You just have to talk to someone in charge of the network security at your work.

VNC - WILL NOT CONNECT????? WHY

Thanks for all the help ...
Even after opening ports 5500 - 5900, assigning Static IP to my computer at workas 192.168.1.221. Subnet 255.255.255.0 & default gateway 192.168.1.1. I m using the external IP 10.0.0.3( this is the Internet IP / External ...noted from my router configs) I STILL CANT CONNECT TO SERVER AT WORK...CANT FIGURE OUT WHY.??? Also in the security tab under Firewall tab - which is enabled obviously...Anonymous requests was checked ...I removed that too.But still cant figure out what going on.
I am doing what is required ..but nothing ...infact the error also doesnot change ...Always it says FAILED TO CONNECT TO SERVER.

I have Windows 2000 Professional at work & XP home edition at home. My IP at home is 24.90.194.46 / Subnet 255.255.248.0 / Default GTW 24.90.192.1 / Connection Specific DNS Suffix nyc.rr.com.
I have Road Runner's Toshiba PCX2500 Cable modem. I dont have router at home.
My router at work is WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router. I am still trying to see other tabs ...what other tabs do. Under SETUP there is tab called ADVANCED ROUTING ....does anybody know if I am supposed to make changes to ADVANCED ROUTING tab...I mean if that would help??????????????

PLEASE HELP???????I HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING I HAD TO BUT STILL CANT GET THIS TO WORK.

ANY SUGGESTION????

Thanks

You router's external IP shows that there is another NAT device between your router and the internet (10.x.x.x addresses are private too meaning your router does not have direct connection to internet). You have to set up port forwarding in that device too to point to your router.

You will have:

Internet -> The true gateway of your workplace -> (forward VNC port to 10.0.0.3) -> Your router at work -> (forward VNC port to 192.168.1.221) -> your work PC

You don't need to change anything under advanced routing.

Hi

First of all you need to have Static IP Provided by ISP at both ends to connect each othere with VNC. Next is check that you can ping that m/c Or VNC Server from you Vnc viewer. If u get reply then u will get the acess. otherwise no.

Try your Best

Vivek

hi Nodsu
Thanks for the help....since I am new to Tech Stuff...I need some more explanation.
Like you mentioned
"Internet -> The true gateway of your workplace -> (forward VNC port to 10.0.0.3) -> Your router at work -> (forward VNC port to 192.168.1.221) -> your work PC "

Do you mean that I have to open the same ports ie 5900-5910 for both my work PC 192.168.1.221 and also open 5900-5910 for 10.0.0.3 which is router IP on the router Setup.
And I think you are right because when I tried to connect from the IP that I got from
"whatsmyip.com
It still says "CAnt connect to server"
And later I used ping & telnet for the IP 138.89.188.x
I am able to ping and after telnet it asks for pswd.

What would you advise me to do????
Thanks for all the help that I am getting from everybody

Thanks so much fro the help that I got....!!!!
I think the way my network is setup is all creating problem. So I tested it on some other computers and BOOM!!....it works.
But I didnot understand why the connection is slow....when I am working with excel/word files its fine...but when I work on unix based program Tech7 (if anybody has heard about it..)it takes too much of time & is slow.
Any suggestions...??????

I tried on diffrent network and it works fine...I guess the way my network is setup...its all complicated. BUT A BIG THANKS.....TO EVERYBODY!!!!

But advise on why its slow with UNIX program???
Thanks again....

How are you running the UNIX program? Do you have VNC server running on a UNIX box and you connect to that or do you connect VNC to a windows machine and then make an X connection to some UNIX server?

You can get better speeds if you select better compression options for VNC. TightVNC and UltraVNC offer superior compression to the vanilla RealVNC.

Sorry for the bump to such an old post. I was having the hardest time getting my IP locked down in some kind of way, I came across an article at variableghz that helped me lock down my IP and get VNC working finally. Anyway, just thought that would be helpful for anybody else searching since this is what came up in my Google search along with everything else... !

Slow connection ? Easy - your work network connects at least 100Mbit/second, maybe 1Gb, but over the internet broadband you might only be getting 5Mb download, 500Kb upload, plus a lot more latency in the various routinings involved.

Thanks to uerjake for dropping a handy hint.

If you wouldn't mind, edit that post to highlight the contribution. "Article" for the hyperlink is just too subtle. It worked for you & it seems it could be a basis for a guide.

P.S. I believe there may be a 24-hour timer that limits the opportunity to edit a post.

Thanks to uerjake for dropping a handy hint.

If you wouldn't mind, edit that post to highlight the contribution. "Article" for the hyperlink is just too subtle. It worked for you & it seems it could be a basis for a guide.

P.S. I believe there may be a 24-hour timer that limits the opportunity to edit a post.

yeah, i just googled it here is the direct link: here. i cant stress really how important it is, getting vnc to work and KEEP working every day has been a big problem with me since i got involved with vnc two years ago and ive never had any explanation on how to do anything i've always been just doing it on my own in the dark so this was a big help. if anyone can suggest any other tutorials let me know, too. there's so much to learn... !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back